Power Boost Break - Valve Cover

BE_Fury

Reaction score
Hello

On my 1971 Fury the power brake booster hits the valve cover.
When looking for the error I tried to find out which would be the correct power brake booster.

I found the following numbers in the parts catalog: W Auto Trans 3579267 Unfortunately, the search for the number was unsuccessful. That's why I'm hoping for help here.

Which power brake booster would be correct? Here are photos of my power brake booster:

IMG_1048.jpeg

IMG_1047.jpeg

547C2597-9CED-459B-A1B5-CB8DB73D93CA.jpeg

e87341ef-3654-4a0f-9c28-980e2330a199.jpeg

IMG_3925.jpeg

Have you looked in the 1971 Factory Service Manual? Plymouth, Dodge, or Chrysler all should work.

Do I see some aftermarket valve covers under the hood? Now we know why the factory painted valve covers had some clearance areas at their outside rear corners.

CBODY67

The booster looks to be correct in terms of dimensions for the 1971 C bodies although the originals didn't have a Bendix stamp in them as I recall. The problem as cited above is with the valve covers that are clearly aftermarket and too tall. Correct original valve covers for a C body with a B engine block are available from AMD assuming your originals were not in good shape:

Unfortunately, they are currently showing out of stock but Mancini Racing might have some of theirs in stock.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick replies.

I assumed that the valve covers fit all models and that it was due to the power brake booster. I was probably mistaken.

I'll look for valve covers for the 1971 C bodies.

Many thanks for the help

While looking for a valve cover, I remembered that my engine is a 440 from 1972, which makes the search a little more complicated.

Do I still need a matching cover for C Bodys from 1971?

Should these fit?

Auto Metal Direct Valve Covers

The necessity of the clearance areas on the valve covers has to do with how the engine is installed at the factory on a UniBody car. On a frame car, the rolling chassis is on the conveyor as the body appears from above and is "dropped" onto the chassis. On the UB cars, the body is suspended on a conveyor as the platform with the front stub/sub-frame and drivetrain rises from below. Might seem like the same deal, but not always.

In earlier times, I thought those various flat spots on the rear of the valve covers looked neat and distinctive. In more recent times, I came to realize they were there for production installation clearance as the body and powertrains mated.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

This second picture shows a hint of blue of original valve covers. They are kind of close, but more clearance than the aftermarket valve covers. Do you still have those?

Since you said "72 engine", was this car a 318 car with a 440 engine? I haven't looked it up, but I wonder if the big block cars use a different booster or mounting bracket.

1711464728855.png

You could also put a dent in the valve cover you have. It is common when fitting headers and valve covers are thinner metal so it should be easy to do.

Unfortunately, the original Cover was lost by the previous owner. There is only the aftermarket cover.

I'll buy an original one. Personally, I think this is nicer than the chrome-plated one.
Overall, I ask myself what speaks against the originals?

A 360 was previously installed. I don't know why it was swapped for a 440.

Back