POWER STEER QUESTION TIME .

69PHOENIX

Reaction score
G'Day,
Just about to have a New Power Steer Hose made up.
Just Checking Specs.
From Memory they run 750-800 P.S.I.
Is This Correct?
Also Do the Two Different Brands of Pump use the Same Hose Fittings or are they Different.
Have a Selection of Boxes / Pumps Collected over the Years.
I have had a Spare Box Re-coed, Next will be a Pump But I'm Not Entirely Sure the Hose they are matching the Fittings from is Identical for Both Types of Pump.
Also the P/S Return Valve on the Box has a Smaller Diameter output than what I am used to Seeing.
Is This Liable to make a Difference? (It's Only sending the Oil back to the Pump, IE Low Pressure.
Advice Appreciated. T.I.A.
Tony.M
(P.S. This is for R.H.D. so I can't just Buy a Hose off the Shelf.)

Last edited:
Howdy -- As to the hose differences between the two brands/types of pumps, the USA Chrysler parts book should define that, although they would be for lhd vehicles. UNLESS they used a different pump on RHD conversions?

Pump pressures can be found in the FSM. The pressure is measured as the "high pressure by-pass valve" operates, not just driving in a straight line. Many times, pressures (at the stops) can be in the 1400psi range, as I recall. Heavier cars usually have higher pressures, which makes that "hissss" sound as the wheel is held against the travel limiter more intense (usually on GM products of their higher carlines), by observation.

Enjoy,
CBODY67

Return hose on “normal US” Chrysler /Dodge has been 11/32” diameter Power Steering hose. Originals were from Gates I believe. Make sure it says for power steering whatever brand you get.

Return hose on “normal US” Chrysler /Dodge has been 11/32” diameter Power Steering hose. Originals were from Gates I believe. Make sure it says for power steering whatever brand you get.
1967 and newer was 11/32” return hose.
1958-1966 was 5/8” hose for the return. See below from a 1962.

9A43386B-8097-4399-881F-372BC403666E.jpeg

View attachment 452372

View attachment 452372

D742476C-1F80-4F07-9781-EF8CCB0EC69B.jpeg

Last edited:
Any idea what the shop 69HEMICORNETR/TCONV is referring to?

He hasn't been on there in 10 years according to his profile.
Sure don't, I ran across the thread when I googled Mopar P/S pumps looking for rated pressures

I was almost able to solve my own problem on the return hose from your pics. I cannot understand how the 5/8 hose on my 66 can be expected to be attached to a vertical up fitting, then turn 180 degrees and immediately go down to another vertical below on the gear. Your pics dont show any tight bends, which is the problem I have. How does your return hose route from the pump to the gear with no kinks please.

The factory was able to do this with one hose and no extra fittings. Try using new hose, it bends easily. An old hose is rigid and doesn’t want to bend easily. I don’t have a 1966 to look at. I’ve owned several and it didn’t look like any trick.

My photo is a 1962, the steering box is mounted behind the axle centerline where the 1965 and newer box in front of the axle centerline.

Look at the steering box photo and see how close it is to the firewall.

Had no idea that the gearboxes would be mounted so differently..... interesting, and would also make it a bit easier for the hose bend. I will try some bending exercises, and see whaaa happens. thanks

Back