Power steering gearbox leak

convertiblefury

Reaction score
My power steering gearbox has fluid leaking out from the top of the dust cover on the gearbox, leaking A LOT. I sprayed it down with brake cleaner and turned the wheels with it running fluid is coming out from right underneath the nut on top. Is there a seal down underneath that cover that is the culprit? Also any cautions I should be aware of? I do not have a manual for this job also car is a 68 fury 3. Can't find anything on the Internet about a leak in this location..

IMG_20230502_214334734.jpg

For a Chrysler factor service manual, www.mymopar.com has them for free download. As I recall, there is a specific '68 Plymouth (full line) servcie manual there. There will be a section on "Power Steering" which will detail how things come apart and what's inside. While there, you can also free-download the Chrysler Parts Manual, which will have more detailed "exploded views" of the steering gearbox.

Use ONLY power steering fluid in that system, NOT atf, from my experiences. Something the equivalent of the old GM part number 1050017 (quart size), IIRC

CBODY67

Much appreciated! Downloaded the manual you linked turns out there was supposed to have been a seal there and someone installed a metal plate instead of the correct seal and it wore a groove from the nut..all is fixed now thanks

Back