Power steering pump rebuild 65 Chrysler

Timsnewporttwin

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I want to rebuild have the power steering pump in my 65 Newport. Got a kit, but mechanic said its just seals, no bearing. I looked and have reordered another kit usung "complete" rebuild kit but nothing showing the bearing. So..whats the deal, does a rebuild just consist of seals only ? Getting frustrated, mechanic dosent want to re-assemble using just the seals.

Suggestions, pearls of wisdom, jokes like Im losing my bearings ???

thanks
tim

IMHO, the mechanic shouldn't have taken it apart until he had ALL the parts he would think he needed.

All of the rebuild kits are just seals. Your mechanic, if he's done power steering pumps before, would have known that.

Send it off to these guys. Power steering pump rebuilders — PowerSteering.com
Great info, thanks. Mechanic is a buddy trying to help me out, not often he works on 65 Newports....Will pass on the info.
I knew cbodies would help.
Thanks
Tim

Mechanic is a buddy trying to help me out, not often he works on 65 Newports.
You know... That's a different story.

So many times we read stories here of guys taking there cars to some mechanic that doesn't know anything about our cars and getting charged $$$. A buddy helping you out is quite different.

So, yea, I've never seen any kits with bearings and with the pumps I've had apart over the years, really if there's any of the hard parts, like bearings, that are bad, the usual method is to find a better pump to rebuild. The pros may have other sources for some of these parts.

You know... That's a different story.

So many times we read stories here of guys taking there cars to some mechanic that doesn't know anything about our cars and getting charged $$$. A buddy helping you out is quite different.

So, yea, I've never seen any kits with bearings and with the pumps I've had apart over the years, really if there's any of the hard parts, like bearings, that are bad, the usual method is to find a better pump to rebuild. The pros may have other sources for some of these parts.
Awesome, I will let him know. Meanwhile a 2nd kit is in the mail. Oh well, I'll stash it away...I'm selective who works on the car but yes, he's not real familiar with it. The car is older than him !! But he's a decent guy and a good mechanic who I trust.
Thanks again

If you need bearings, go to an industrial supply. You will want to measure EVERY dimension of the old one, and narrow your search down to at least hydraulic pump bearings. You can also look in the 1965 Mopar parts catalogue, which may help a bit.

I hope your pal has a good press for this job. I did one a couple months ago, and it went really easy, but not many folks can buy 20 ton hydraulic presses from nonagenarian cowboys. After doing the job, the power steering system leak slowed to a tablespoon of fluid per week. Well worth doing.

Best Wishes for you.

Back