Pressure testing power steering relief valve

sprice

Reaction score
Anybody know if this can be done out of car? I took mine out to rebuild and didn't have a service manual at the time. Now that I have one it notes "Do not attempt to readjust this valve". Thanks.
IMG_1604.JPG

Anybody know if this can be done out of car? I took mine out to rebuild and didn't have a service manual at the time. Now that I have one it notes "Do not attempt to readjust this valve". Thanks.View attachment 197178

This is a preset item, screwing with it can blow the seals on your steering gear and void the rebuilder's warranty. It can also cause erratic steering. If you think it is not properly adjusted, return it to the rebuilder to be reset. What problem are you having with the gear that you think the relief is not properly set? And for which year and model car?

Dave

Last edited:
Visit local hydraulics part store and buy a pressure gauge and needed fittings to connect the gauge to the outlet of the pump. Fill the pump with oil, rotate the pump by hand or some rotary tool to get most of the air out from the outlet and after that plug the outlet with the pressure gauge. Install the pump into a vice and figure out some way to rotate the pulley with reasonable sized electric drill or so. I tested mine with 1.5kw unit. Check the max pressure from the gauge and adjust the relief valve if needed.

Back