Project Delmae- 1971 Dodge Polara Custom Sedan

Walter Joy

Reaction score
I feel like Delmae has already garnered a decent following base on here, however my posts have been few and far between on progress, which has made it a little messy for those trying to follow her entire story. So I have decided to move all my update posts into this thread here, word for word (copy and paste from the original posts I did, with date of original post at top in bold). I will keep making updated posts in the Fuselage section, but I will also transfer it over here. Hope you guys enjoy!

Last edited:
June 13, 2017

img_8615-jpg.jpg
Hi forum members. My name is Walter Joy. I am an 18 year old fresh out of high school and preparing for college, and as a graduation gift, I acquired a Polara. This car is a 1971 Dodge Polara Custom Sedan equipped with the A01 Turnpike package (even though that package was a 69-70 only), but with it it came with a 383 2bbl back d by a heavy duty Torqueflite 727 3 speed automatic and an 8 3/4 inch axle fitted with 2.76 gears. That's as much as I know on the car, as I pulled most of the information off the fender tag. What I do know is this car was purchased brand new by my great grandmother in 1971, and was originally garage kept until she passed and my uncle took ownership. Everything on the car is numbers matching and original. No repaints or reupholstered interior. I hope I am welcomed here and hope you guys can help me in finding parts, as 18 years in the elements of Maryland has taken a toll.

Last edited:
June 13, 2017

img_8616-jpg.jpg
img_8610-jpg.jpg
img_8607-jpg.jpg
img_8609-jpg.jpg

Thank you guys so much for the warm welcome. Here are more pictures. I won't be moving the car for a little while to my yard, but there is no worry because the car is located 100 yards from my house.

June 13, 2017

img_8617-jpg.jpg
img_8618-jpg.jpg
The paint on the underside of the trunk is immaculate and untouched, but the edge of the trunk is rusted through. And that is the original trunk sticker for the jack and the jack is under the multiple mice nests inside.

June 14, 2017

Thank you everyone for the responses. It'll be a while before any real work starts on the car, but this will help me prepare and plan. So here's the back story on the car: my great grandmother Delmae bought the car new in 1971 using the money she received when her parents' land was sold for $20k and was split among her and her 9 siblings. This was her first brand new car she ever bought. When she was living in the house I currently live in, the car was housed in a metal shed that just barely fit the car. When she died, my father occasionally used the car to drive him to college. Then his older brother, my uncle (who I got the car from), had the car in the 90s when he was in a little trouble with the law, and actually managed to successfully evade police in it. After that, it sat outside, only moving about 18 or so years ago when my uncle moved houses. Every piece on the car is original (except for the tires and possibly a few underhood parts). But it is so original that it has not yet been worked on to run unleaded gas.

January 7, 2019

It has been over a year since I have updated my progress on my 1971 Polara named Delmae. So here’s the update (will post all photos and videos at the end)...

From December 2017 to May 2018, nothing happened. My father would keep asking me when I was going to go pull the car. Well May 2018 was the time to do it. We jacked the car up to pull the front tires and wheels off so I could get new ones that held air. Well that didn’t go as planned and ended up with two newer tires that leaked badly. Well Memorial Day weekend I had gone on a cruise in the truck and still had the tires sitting in my yard. Dad and I went over to put them on, and my uncle Jody (uncle who previously owned the car) said to just pull it out now. And that’s what we did. Hooked a tow strap to the car and pulled her around the road to my grandparents, where the car currently is. First step of the project done.
At the beginning of June, I began to dive into the car. First step was to patch the major rust holes. Mother nature had not been kind to the car, and as a result, the A-pillars were gone, and the bottom of the rear window looked like Swiss cheese. A quick squirt of automotive spray foam and duct tape fixed the problem. While I was doing that, I cleaned the trunk out in order to inspect the damage there. Surprisingly, there were a few pinholes and just some surface rust.

The rest of June the car sat. July comes around and I go to Carlisle. There I picked up an original factory service manual and two Carter 4 bbl carbs (I bought a 400 4bbl intake off Facebook. Picked up an aftermarket AFB and a factory correct AVS for cheap). So when August rolls around, my spirit is rekindled, and I have the added help from my Uncle Glenn, who used to work on the car when it was new. It was then that we began the revival.

Beginning of August, we started going through what was needed to get the car to start. First step was hooking a battery up. Using the old battery from my mom’s Pathfinder, we hooked it up to see if anything happened. We flicked the headlight light switch and the exterior lights came on and buzzer buzzing away. So we knew Delmae wanted to live.
Next step was to check if the 383 big block was free or if it had locked up. So we spent a few hours getting down and dirty pulling the sparkplugs out. Once they were out, a quick tug yank with the breaker bar told us the engine was free. We put it back together and tried to see if the original starter would work, but when we turned the key, nothing happened. A quick troubleshooting and bypass of the neutral safety switch made the gear reduction starter whirr away. We next checked to see if we had spark. To keep it short, we had spark after replacing the distributor rotor, cap, points, and a cobbled together spark plug wire. We also went ahead and rebuilt the Carter BBD 2bbl, as one screw was gacked and the condition of the carb was unknown. But on August 26th, with a fuel can hooked to the fuel pump and my truck hooked to the battery, Delmae cranked over and fired up. Backfired only once through the carb and would not want to idle, but it ran on her own. However, we were a very long way from clear, as there was a hidden disaster we had just created.

Oil had been steadily streaming from the valve covers onto the manifolds, causing it to smoke. It was time for new gaskets. Took the driver side valve cover off and noticed nothing wrong, just a very worn out gasket. Took the passenger side off and as we were inspecting the valvetrain, something was off. The rocker to the intake valve on number 2 was able able to be rotated around the shaft. One flashlight and magnet later, we pulled out the culprit: a bent pushrod. The valve had been stuck closed due to sticking valve guides, and when we started the car, bent the one pushrod. All over valves were fine and my uncle proceeded to push the valve to open position....and have it get stuck. So we spent the next three hours beating and banging on the valve spring to get the valve to close and let us pull the spring off. Luckily we did (using a Chevy big block spring compressor) and got it freed. One new rocker arm and a quick straightening of the Pushrod in the vise brought the car to running decent. We jacked the back end up and found out the transmission worked, but had no brakes. So in a time span from late September to early December, every single metal and rubber brake line on the car had been replaced, along with two new (to me) tires put on the front, and the interior of the car cleaned a bit more.

When cleaning out the ashtray, I found gas receipts, with the latest being from March 1993. That gave me a rough time line of when the car last drove. Hidden behind a mouse nest in the glovebox were two more artifacts: a warranty card for the battery dated 1973 (when my great grandmother owned it) and a Led Zeppelin- In Through the Out Door cassette tape (at one point there was an FM-Cassette add on in the car). It was also at this point I got a good sense of the floors. The front floors were covered in rust but only had a few pinholes. Not too bad for a car that had been unloved for decades. The final treasure I found was the main hidden gold that I love: the all elusive Broadcast Sheet. And tucked in the seat springs in the back of the rear seats was a good 40-50% of the sheet.

December 2018 rolls around. Weeks of driving to and from the auto store, breaking old lines and bending new ones, and a lot of bleeding later, the car was ready to finally move. So on December 19th, we took some glass cleaner, cleaned up the windows and cleaned the rear lights off, and I took her for the first drive. In a span of 7 months, I had managed to get a car that was rusting away to be turned into a running and driving car....with a few more snafus.

On that first drive, I managed to leave a trail of ATF about a half mile long because the line had split going into the cooler on the underside of the radiator. The day we replaced the lines was also the day I did the first oil change on the car in 25 years. I took her out on a half mile drive through my neighborhood (no tags, no insurance, no brake lights, no problems) and finally breathed some relief.

So now it’s January 2019 and here is where I’m at. Currently the interior of the car is apart. Managed to get the front seats out and pulled the rest of the carpet out, to finally see the extent of the rust. End result: it has some minor and major holes in the floors, but not bigger than a dollar coin and will soon be filled with bondo. The steering column is also apart, as we finally got all the lights to work yet still no brakes. That problem was tracked to a bad hazard switch, and a replacement is on its way. Finally, the original gas tank was dropped out of the car and drained of the rancid gas and grime. However, that tank had holes in the side and I had found another tank within a few hours journey of me to hopefully replace it. However, I paid way too much for a tank that actually was in much worse condition. So hopefully I can get one of the tanks brazed and patched and thrown back in the car.

Last edited:
Excellent idea. The car should be stunning after you bring her back to her old self!

PS: May I suggest that you link each of the dates in the posts in the present thread to the various earlier threads you created, which would make it easier for folks who like to delve into history to find extra details and member comments?

Excellent idea. The car should be stunning after you bring her back to her old self!

PS: May I suggest that you link each of the date posts to the various earlier threads you created, which makes it much easier for folks who like to delve into history to find extra details and member comments?
Great idea! Once I finish the bulk of the copy and past, I will include all the links to the original posts as well.

January 7, 2019

57613c83-7805-4a57-8856-bc7f76956823-jpeg.jpg
d983eb5b-f448-4689-94fd-fbdf36790c1b-jpeg.jpg
037c653d-5d54-40cc-9295-773535a31478-jpeg.jpg
056dc147-baa9-4573-8482-9e0d29152b6a-jpeg.jpg
2ea0dc79-d431-4300-8c3e-31ee13a0243f-jpeg.jpg
095931ee-4936-49fb-b225-8c1a6d5f903e-jpeg.jpg
3b9fb494-c614-468c-b49e-e900c054547a-jpeg.jpg
7411e530-5a9e-4565-bdae-59893a8bd705-jpeg.jpg
Pictures of everything I just said. Will be split up into multiple posts

January 7, 2019

These are the two uncles that are mentioned in the above post. The one in the gray hair is my uncle Glenn and the one in the hat is my uncle Jody.

60221965-7d60-4ad5-9fff-eccb50940e21-jpeg.jpg

b4723015-e4cd-47c0-afee-344dfe19130c-jpeg.jpg

And this is Delmae in front of my house. My great grandmother Delmae lived in this house when she was alive. And off picture next to the car is a shed that used to be where she parked the car.
44bb254a-67c3-41db-a012-ae6891eb136c-jpeg.jpg

January 8, 2019

Thank you all for the positive feedback. Wyatt (@71Polara383) has been helping me a lot and was the one who is sending me a new hazard module for the car. The body filler I’m using for the floors is a Bondo brand metal infused body filler. And the entire floor is going to be covered with rust neutralizer.

Now once it’s put back together and I get the gas tank brazed, I will be saving up for tires and Torq Thrust D wheels. I’ll also be gathering up parts to hop up the 383 including: 452 heads, 1971 383 4bbl intake, headers, meatier camshaft, 3.23 Suregrip. Just a little life into Delmae

April 11, 2020

So it’s been another year (!!!) since I have made an update post on Delmae. Feel like it’s finally time to post what all has been done:

From where we left off, I had purchased a rusted out gas tank for far too much, and had put a damper on my mood. Luckily, that has been temporary resolved, with my uncle Glenn using some JB Weld to fill the holes in the original tank, and then painted the gas tank in some Rustoleum. The next problem to tackle was to figure out why none of the rear lights would work. I bought the turnsignal switch off of Wyatt's (@71Polara383) Wildcat and fixed the brake lights (original bulbs still in place), but still had no reverse lights and had to jump the NSS. Turns out the mice had chewed the wires on the plug almost to the connector, but we managed to splice two wires in and surprise! It works!

By this time it is March, and I give Delmae her first bath in 26 years, getting that beautiful GA4 Light Gunmetal Metallic to shine (and not blow it all off with the garden hose). It was also at this time that I discovered that the many times it had been sitting on blocks while working on it throughout 2018 had caused the subframe to crush in. Luckily through this wonderful site, I found one @mindshark13 had from a 1971 Newport in Tampa, and was able to get it purchased and shipped by a friend of mine for $250 total, in which it arrived in April. After that, there wasn't too much left to do. A radiator cap fixed an overheating problem and I also managed to find the original license plates to the car sitting in one of the shed.

The remainder of this lull from June 2019 to now has been mostly dedicated to purchasing parts to build the 383 in Delmae. At Carlisle I picked up a DP4B intake for $150 and a NIB Edelbrock air cleaner for $10 to go with the Carter AVS 6125S carb I had bought the year before. Upon returning from Carlisle, I found a gentleman selling a set of HP manifolds for $140. Unfortunately, I discovered that the driver side manifold (PN 2843247- 2.25 inch) had a smaller outlet diameter than the passenger side (PN 2806900- 2.5 inch. For sale if needed). Luckily, Joe Bonnette in Lakeland, Florida (do not know if he is on here) had a 1970-71 HP manifold for sale (2951216- 2.5 inch) and I managed to pick up for $160 (which is a steal). October was another swap meet in my area, and I picked up a barely used Comp Cam XE268H cam and lifter set for $75. February time frame came around and I had a few bucks in my pocket from my 21st birthday, and I found a set of 15x7 inch Cop Rally wheels for $100 local to me. It was a good thing I picked them up, as I made a deal with the owner to also purchase a blown up 451 Stroker for $100 as well. Reason for it? The engine had a pair of lightly ported and shaved 906 heads on it, built with new seals and seats, new valves, and an adjustable Crane valvetrain. I was supposed to pick the engine up in March after he returned from his other house in Tennessee, but this COVID-19 stuff has kept him there until further notice. And just this past week, I have managed to secure a deal on a 489 case 3.55 Suregrip that I hope to pick up in Carlisle.

So where do things look now? Last year I had wanted the car done by September 2019 just so I could show the Roadkill guys it when Drag Week came to my local track (the car obviously was not done, but I managed to have them sign the glovebox instead and had a fantastic time). The next goal was to have it done by Chryslers at Carlisle 2021 to celebrate Delmae's 50th birthday, but my current list of parts I still need to purchase is approaching $4,000, and even though my internship pays good money, it isn't that good to pay both for school and for car parts. My last goal was possibly enter it in the 1971 Invitational at the Wellborn Museum in Alabama, but like I mentioned before, I doubt the car will be ready and tested for that. As for what is left, I have a few more parts I am looking to pickup hopefully for cheap at Carlisle (M/T Valve covers, MP Electronic Ignition System, possibly a torque converter to better match the cam- I've heard the 360 torque converters are higher rated than the ones in the 383-2bbl like mine). I also will use a portion of my summer internship earnings this year to start purchasing front end parts, as the subframe is currently sitting under a tarp next to Delmae. However, when I swap subframes, I also want to start building the 383 and at the same time have a friend of mine tackle the rust repair (no engine in would let him see if and where there is cowl rot).

Long post, I know, but pictures will be coming later this afternoon. I know many people enjoy watching this project come together, and I am too.

April 11, 2020

Delmae's original tank. Patched with JB Weld, and two-tone painted in Rustoleum.
851d8fde-1ff7-45d0-8ebf-7609105f08e5-jpeg.jpg

One of the only pieces of wiring the mice had affected. They left just enough in the plug to put a splice in.
be71c351-5357-4b59-8fa8-4cea9e5ccb14-jpeg.jpg

The first time the GA4 Light Gunmetal Grey has really shined. Also...HOSE!
aaf8cbf1-8140-42e5-830e-e53b9e071611-jpeg.jpg

Took the opportunity to also get a picture of my two Mopars freshly washed and with their wheel covers on.
4a509d65-086e-4e4a-b5d8-75ebdd7cf284-jpeg.jpg

Closer photo of Delmae wearing her original wheel covers.
e707f355-5c5a-4f6d-9d6b-a327702ea24c-jpeg.jpg

At one point in her life, Delmae was actually kept in a garage. My great grandfather Walter built it for my great grandmother Delmae to keep it in. When my uncle Jody inherited Delmae, that was the start of her no longer staying in a garage.
73939bbb-daa3-49c8-b518-dd38c6da8231-jpeg.jpg

Doesn't look like much, but that is a bit unnerving. Both side are like this, and led me to search for a subframe.
6e7b1992-7e74-4a38-886a-4e4538cf7632-jpeg.jpg

Surprisingly only took about a month to find one and get it. I originally was going to have a guy ship it to me while on a cross country trip delivering Dodge truck parts, but a day after he was supposed to pick up a Macho Rollbar for my truck, everything turned sour and the guy left a whole trailer full of parts in a parking lot in Ohio. Luckily none of my stuff was on it (rollbar was worse than initially told, long long story) and I scrambled to find another shipper. A friend of mine that I went to school with (also a distant cousin) said he was delivering a tractor to Florida and could pick it up for the cost of a tank of diesel. So for $100 I had it delivered.
86982b96-a9ff-42cd-9a10-760f9ece900a-jpeg.jpg

Look's like Delmae is happy. Evening picture, all the original lights working, and the original license plates back on it (Maryland changed their plate design in 1975, which these are still stickered as).
7c79f199-ee3e-4802-9e0f-02bcf7f01d57-jpeg.jpg

Dad bought a boat on Father's Day that was from Florida. This was the sticker on it. Decided to stick it on Delmae (because in Florida this probably would be on the road as is).
4f3ad4e2-347e-431e-8739-775e8f65ee09-jpeg.jpg

April 11, 2020

Here’s some of the beauty going on the 383 in the near future. Something I find unique and never intended was all these parts could’ve been had on a 1969 or 1970 383. The Carter AVS 6125S is correct for a 1971 383 auto, DP4B intake was offered over the counter, and the HP manifolds are correct for a 1970 C Body 383 HP. What I don’t have pictured is the cam and lifters or the air cleaner. Also, what is the best way to get the driver side looking like the passenger? I'm probably going to be called many names for keeping the engine block blue and the manifold and heads orange (once I can get them), but at least I want the manifolds to be the same color.
18d28cae-e25f-4450-bf38-541b34ad1ce0-jpeg.jpg

A little bit of graffiti on the glove box door. Only one missing is Steve Dulcich's, but I would want his seal of approval when everything is done.
694e33a2-243c-4397-95e7-2c54caa3970d-jpeg.jpg

A little more proof on the authenticity of the signatures. Freiburger and Brian Lohnes were on their way to the airport so I couldn't grab their picture, but I stuck around for a little with Finnegan, Tony Angelo, and Cotten and Newbern from Finnegan's Garage and now Faster with Finnegan. When the car is done, I will definitely have Delmae in the photo with us.
d49189cb-20a9-4cbf-a7bc-0a83346d4f00-jpeg.jpg

My $100 Cop Rally wheels. Patina even matches Delmae. Notice no holes for a center section. May spruce them up with 1971 Rally wheel center sections (after I drill holes) and possibly trim rings.
22a06b90-6b89-42bd-9b67-f955d2e751fa-jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
April 11, 2020

fbf22d6a-ff9d-4bcc-82e5-26e4db0875f9-jpeg.jpg
Finally I end my pictures with this one. Delmae sitting in her corner under a tarp with my first first gen and my second first gen. Reason I chose this photo to include was it was the very first time since 1993 that all 3 vehicles were in the same place at the same time. And coincidentally, all 3 were driven by dad to college as well.

Back