Project Sidetrack 2

So I decided to start the transformation of my interior, I took off the inner rear window trim, the lights on the C pillar and swapped a door panel. Gotta start somewhere. Might leave the dash til I have time to tear it apart.

Before:

IMG_20170729_114403.jpg

After:
IMG_20170729_120051.jpg

Neither was perfect so I can live with the waviness of the door panels. Next up; driver's side and rear panels. Stay tuned!

So I decided to start the transformation of my interior, I took off the inner rear window trim, the lights on the C pillar and swapped a door panel. Gotta start somewhere. Might leave the dash til I have time to tear it apart.

Before:

View attachment 136273

After:
View attachment 136274

Neither was perfect so I can live with the waviness of the door panels. Next up; driver's side and rear panels. Stay tuned!

Looks good.

I wonder if some steam and a few boards and clamps might flatten that out..... Make a door panel sandwich. At least for the bottom.

I thought that same thing.
There's some water damage on the bottom of the driver's panel, little mold spots on the back side.

That cloth deal that goes in front of the leading edge of the rear door panel, is there a simple way to remove that? It was covered on the parts car and looks pretty good and would like to reuse it, just not sure how it comes out with out messing up the mounting tabs.

As long as I had the camera in the shop I snapped a photo of those clips, they look like they'll re-clamp fine, or they look like they'll pop out of the metal too. I have to replace the windlace on mine so I left the clips in place and just took the windlace out for now.
upload_2017-8-2_19-45-19.png

I'm sure you've seen the windlace, but just in case........
upload_2017-8-2_19-46-11.png

Can you take the dash out without removing the windshield in this here 66 Polara? Just curious if there's a shortcut to getting it out or not.

There's some water damage on the bottom of the driver's panel, little mold spots on the back side.

Those door panels can be repaired or the boards replaced. I'd try the stuff for model cars called "Bare Metal Foil" to fix the mylar.

I replaced panel boards. Most of the pics are gone (Thanks Photobucket) but the links for materials are there. I used 3m spray adhesive to glue the old vinyl on the new.

Door Panel repair

Those door panels can be repaired or the boards replaced. I'd try the stuff for model cars called "Bare Metal Foil" to fix the mylar.

I replaced panel boards. Most of the pics are gone (Thanks Photobucket) but the links for materials are there. I used 3m spray adhesive to glue the old vinyl on the new.

Door Panel repair
Familiar with the Bare Metal Foil, still have some downstairs.

Been busy this past weekend and didn't get much more taken off the car. The front seat is my current hold up. Had to get an angle grinder to cut the bolts. I'll get the carpet and seats, along with the door panels in this week for the informal show this weekend. Headliner will have to wait. Gotta get the interior swapped in my few hours I have between work, and watching the granddaughters. Think next week I'll start taking the front end apart.

So I got the seat out, got bolts for its installation in the Polara, and was able to put the rear carpet, rear and front belts in, working inside the car while a light rain fell.

Looks like the drivers side lower corner of the rear window needs some metal work!

IMG_20170809_113041.jpg

Yes, that's a black belt next to the blue belt, I need another set of hands to get the loose backing piece off.

So I've taken everything off the car, and now have a shell. Gonna bring it over to the step son's house to take the stub off, he pointed out how easy it would be to move with 4 wheels, der Scott! He will get a replacement stub and all other body panels when I swap in the spring. Then he's going to make the shell ready for... a derby or two! Don't hate, the quarters are gone, the floor and trunk aren't solid, the undercoating has kept the horizontal surfaces that way, and the stub going in is bent, no wasting of good parts. It was a derby death with honor, or get turned into a pancake with no grace at all. Yeah, he's gonna kill it. The next one I'm getting isn't any better, at least the outside isn't. I'm imagining the bottom and stub aren't in great condition sitting on the ground, that one will go to the crusher in a very hasty manner.

I learned a lot about my car, and forgot twice as much! I'm glad I still have my car to better document what goes where, but I got most of it. There sure is a hell of a lot that goes into making a car, I'm glad I don't have to do this often. Fun, educational, but space and time are my enemies.

IMG_20170911_171913.jpg

IMG_20170911_171923.jpg

Last edited:
Just noticed I still have to take off the trim on the quarters! Maybe grab those trunk hinges too...

Gotta love gutting parts cars. Such a shame we don't have many options for reproduction stuff. And I 100% agree, Death with honor, but that is only true if it dies with a Chrysler engine...

Gotta love gutting parts cars. Such a shame we don't have many options for reproduction stuff. And I 100% agree, Death with honor, but that is only true if it dies with a Chrysler engine...
Black & Decker aqaurium pump will be used. :wideyed:

Back