Questions about C-body car cover

imperialman

Reaction score
Has anyone purchased and a good outside car cover for a 78 New Yorker?
Thinking logistics while on my morning walk had me coming to the conclusion that short of adding on to my garage, my New Yorker will be spending this summer parked outside.
I'm not excited about it getting wet,but I don't like that it would be getting full sun for most of the day

Empire covers is having some sort of mega MLK sale this weekend . Anyone had any experience with them?

I purchased one from them a couple of years ago for my '78 New Yorker Coupe with the Evolution Fabric. No problems with quality or fit but my car stays inside,

I used an empire cover on my Challenger (gloss friggin black). It was the 5 ply micro fiber job... the top of the line from them. Hasn't gotten much use as the car is only outside in the summer but it's seen a few storms and many showers.

Make sure you always clean and dry before covering. You never want to leave a car covered on anything but pavement and even then, you want everything dried as quickly as possible before replacing the cover.
I know it's not as nice as a garage but you can make a cover work if you're diligent.
Good luck!

We've bandied this question around a few times here but I have my 70 under an Ironshield and my 66 under an EVO3 cover. The Ironshield is much better at water resistance but the EVO breathes better. Both cars are outside unfortunately and at -35C with snow accumulation both have stood up well. The Ironshield does a better job IMHO
IMG_6328.JPG

Ironshield in front...

The search filter isn't very good on here. It takes me forever to find stuff I know I posted.

I get a 12x20 tarp from lowesdepot and it lasts about 6 months in the TX weather. I need to buy a carport. . .

I have multiple Empire covers. For the price, they work just fine.

We fielded several threads on covers.

A bunch of us have Ironshields. Great year round including snow. I bought several.

CarsCover.com: Online Shopping for Covers & more

Car Cover Recommendations

I have bought Ironshield car covers for several of my cars. I started in 2018 and generally I have been happy, though one of them got a 2-in tear last year in an area where I would not have expected that there would be much stress.

For my latest acquisition, I have decided to try the 25% cheaper Ultrashield from the same company. Unlike the IS, the US does not have vents, but is supposed to "breathe".

I will report on my experience.

I have bought Ironshield car covers for several of my cars. I started in 2018 and generally I have been happy, though one of them got a 2-in tear last year in an area where I would not have expected that there would be much stress.

For my latest acquisition, I have decided to try the 25% cheaper Ultrashield from the same company. Unlike the IS, the US does not have vents, but is supposed to "breathe".

I will report on my experience.

AVOID the UltraShield. I bought it for a car that @david hill is helping me restore. He reported that the US cover is not waterproof. Very disappointed, as the manufacturer claims 5/5 for water resistance.

Last edited:
Back