Rare Rides: The 1970 Chrysler 300 Hurst

It might be interesting to see the write-up which Streetside Classics had on the car, when they had it for sale? Seems like the "dealer car" mention was in one of the articles on the car? Oh well . . . In any event, the a/c was added much later after the car was built, as Sanden-style compressors didn't happen until the earlier 1980s, as I recall. Chrysler used a similar compressor as factory equipment in '80, because that's what's on my '80 Newport from the factory.

The Chrysler factory accessory a/c, dealer installed, looked like the typical aftermarket a/c units of the later '60s. Rectangular front faces with rectangular vents on each side, with the controls in the middle, between them. Attached is a 1966 picture. I suspect the '70-era would have been similar, BUT without any Sanden-style a/c compressor running it.

So . . . if all of the Chrysler 300 Hursts were not all fully-loaded, built one way, then did a buyer order what they wanted on a normal 300 2-dr hardtop, then check the extra box for the "300 Hurst Package" to get it built that way? I'd always figured that Hurst bought the cars from Chrysler, built with one total equipment package, then re-sold them to customers after the conversion was completed. No real evidence to base that on, back then, just my suspicion.

CBODY67

AIRTEMP__1966_used-1966-chrysler-300-300sedan-12330-13583633-24-1024.jpg

Found the Streetside Classics original listing. In the Tampa showroom. Documentation indicates the car was a Canadian car. From the Streetside Classics listing, which is where the car's photos in the article came from.

CBODY67

CHRYSLER__1970_300 HURST_CANADIAN_94882409220c00_hd_1970-chrysler-300-h-hurst-edition.jpg

CHRYSLER__1970_300 HURST_CANADIAN_948825060f677e_hd_1970-chrysler-300-h-hurst-edition.jpg

CHRYSLER__1970_300 HURST_CANADIAN_9488234b0d7c9c_hd_1970-chrysler-300-h-hurst-edition.jpg

So . . . if all of the Chrysler 300 Hursts were not all fully-loaded, built one way, then did a buyer order what they wanted on a normal 300 2-dr hardtop, then check the extra box for the "300 Hurst Package" to get it built that way? I'd always figured that Hurst bought the cars from Chrysler, built with one total equipment package, then re-sold them to customers after the conversion was completed. No real evidence to base that on, back then, just my suspicion.

CBODY67

I didn't find any Research concerning the possibility for a specific order either and suspect the same. They seem to have been taken to Hurst in Batches but with varying Equipment. In common for all These were the spinnacker White paint with stripe delete, 440 TNT (with beefed up Suspension I guess), saddle tan Interieur, power Windows (except the few early examples), remote trunk release, the one in the glovebox compartment plus one cable operated on the driver's side, Imperial leather interior. While These Batches were built in different months all had the same scheduled production date in January 1970, mine for example was built in late April from comparisons of the VIN and some date codes found on the car.

Some sources even mentioned they were more or less "forced" on dealerships. My car for example was sold in Nov. 1970 after the 71 model year was already out for quite a while, delivered to the dealership in early May, so definitely no hot seller. The Price was pretty steep even without many options and the exterior probably a bit loud for the average full size Chrysler buyer usually in the 30 years and up Age.

Last edited:
The "beefed-up suspension" should have been the normal HD suspension option. I don't recall if it was a mandatory option with the 440/375 motor, though. Either way, it should have an "S" option code (S13?).

As I recall from looking at the FSM for my '66 Chrysler, the factory a/c cars had the same torsion bars as the HD suspension option. The 4 shocks were "High Control". The rear springs got more leaves for a higher ride rate (stiffer). Ordering all of the Hurst cars with the HD suspension option ensured they all rode the same, whether factory a/c or not. Although that particular FSM info was for '66, I suspect that orientation carried through to the end of the '73 model year, I suspect.

They might have been delivered to Hurst with just a driver's seat, which might have been recycled with each batch, so all they would have to do is install the Imperial leather seat items..

I concur that they were not a big seller, but with only approx. 500 to get rid of, only the larger metro dealers would have gotten one, unless a dealer special-ordered one. There was probably some dealership volume criteria of what dealers could get one. Just suspicions knowing how some of these "special editions" were handled in prior times.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Does anyone have a copy of the Chrysler documentation that shows 485 were built?

Back