Rear brake is driving me nuts...

just throwing this out there -

check the spring keeper thingies - especially if you bought new ones - make sure they are the same length as the old ones.

I bought replacement spring keepers, and the ones I got were too long, and the shoes walked off and pinned to the drum. very very very hard to remove the drum after that.

I ended up putting the original keepers back on.

try not to die -

- saylor

I'm just anxious to find out if I'm a genius or not...

08-einstein1.jpg

Finally solved the problem.
You won't believe this but ordered a new pair of brakeshoes. This time I ordered Wagner brakeshoes. First ones were from Raybestos. Ofcourse I compared them and they lóók the same but.... Raybestos shoes were 0,5 mm wider then Wagner shoes...I think thát was the problem.
Put the new Wagners shoes on, adjusted them and took a test drive....No heating up at all and brakes work perfect now....:thumbsup: Now I can drive and enjoy the Newport again..

Thank you all for your answers and suggestions...:thankyou:

You won't believe this but ordered a new pair of brakeshoes. This time I ordered Wagner brakeshoes. First ones were from Raybestos. Ofcourse I compared them and they lóók the same but.... Raybestos shoes were 0,5 mm wider then Wagner shoes...I think thát was the problem.
Put the new Wagners shoes on, adjusted them and took a test drive....No heating up at all and brakes work perfect now....:thumbsup: Now I can drive and enjoy the Newport again..

Wow something you would never think to look at/check. Glad you finally got it sorted out.

Glad you found the problem, but now I am curious, since the shoes were wider than the originals, didn't they leave rub marks on the inside of the drums?

Glad you found the problem, but now I am curious, since the shoes were wider than the originals, didn't they leave rub marks on the inside of the drums?
No, not that I could see. But as mentioned earlier in my posts, shoes started to drag after I tightend the wheellugs. I couldn't figure out why....and never thought that 0.5 mm would make a difference but it did..

I'll bet the drums weren't cut quite as deep into the corner as they should have been.

Back