Rear Cross Member Isolators

Omni

Reaction score
Good Day All
With summer winding down, I am gathering parts for some front end re-work on the '65 Newport this winter. Many parts have been sourced from Mobile Parts but I MAY be in need of Parts number 2071514 (R) and 2071515 (L). These are "Isolator Rear Cross member".
I say MAY need them as I do not know yet. I am just trying to source them for availability if I do need them. Trying to avoid tearing the suspension apart just to have a work stoppage.
So, do these isolators wear out? If so, is there a replacement available? Not sure how many years they were used or if they are a 'C' body only application.
Thanks to all who respond.
Omni

I thought isolated torsion bars were Imperial only, according to the ‘67 parts book those are the correct numbers and Imperial only.

Good Morning
Attached are copies are from the '65 Parts Catalog:
According to the parts manual the isolators were used in the C body car line only for '65. May have been used in later years and models.
Omni
1965 Chrysler Suspension 001.jpg
Apparently
Chrysler Suspension.jpg

Very interesting I didn’t know that. I wonder if they were used in ‘66 too and then just became Imperial specific for ‘67.
They were vulcanized rubber blocks like the engine mounts and I don’t believe were ever supported in the aftermarket. They are susceptible to wear or breakage and I believe the only game in town is below. I had the set from the silver car re-vulcanized by them.
Nors Vulcanized Motor Mounts & Rubber Products | Then and Now Automotive
F422B11D-A692-4714-86E8-3C51EF307C1A.jpeg

1965 only for Dodge & Chrysler only. I noticed earlier this summer that mine are looking a little tired, so I've been thinking about this as well.

There are holes through the torsion bar support to provide access to some of the transmission crossmember bolts. I think it would be pretty easy to use longer bolts with some spacers to reinforce the connection between the torsion bar crossmember & the transmission crossmember. You would lose the vibration isolation, but clearly a solid mount was good enough for all the later years. It might also be possible to include some rubber in the new bolt/spacer design, but I haven't looked into it that much yet.

Back