rear pinion leaking on 65 sport fury

good golly

Reaction score
I have a 8 3/4 rear end 741 casting. the yoke seal is leaking. I have removed the yoke but cannot remove what is behind it. Is that the seal and how do I remove it?

as dumb as this sounds...buy the seal...once you have it in your hand it should be pretty clear how it all goes together

Looking at a parts diagram is invaluable in this exact situation . Think about getting a manual. You'd have the job finished by now.

1972 8.75 Directions with Pictures
· Pinion Yoke Oil Seal, SKF 18708: flange of oil seal is metal and sticks out beyond the edge of the axle housing. Pin punch and hammer to bend old oil seal’s flange away from the front of the differential carrier. Remove old oil seal with vise grips. (If you don't have the metal flange, you may have to pry against the outside of the metal seal with a flat blade screw driver to loosen it in the housing.)
20190501_160331.jpg

New oil seal: 60 grit sandpaper on outer edge of carrier to remove surface rust from oil seal mounting hole. Only needed to use the sandpaper on the outer edge; the inner portion was flat and smooth and rust free, and I didn’t want to touch it. Carefully cleaned out any and all debris so nothing could damage the front pinion bearing. Q-tips in oil passage below front pinion bearing. Light coat of wheel bearing grease on inner portion of seal mounting area and on rubber oil seal itself.
20190501_155339.jpg

Old coffee cup (now paint cup) and taps with big hammer to install new seal. I figured what the heck, if the cup broke it had a monogram of a company that I used to work for and don’t have any relationship with now so who gives a damn. Use open end of cup on metal flange of oil seal. Stop tapping when metal flange is flush with front of differential carrier.
20190501_161619.jpg

20190501_161714.jpg
20190501_161748.jpg

Back