Rear seat remove again

66furys

Reaction score
I pulled an old one back in the day, and recall push back and it will pop up. So, I finally have one bucket out and working carpet and rust. Tried to push on the back seat....nada mas. After pulling both carpet and pad from under the front of the seat you can easily see the bracket and the rod that holds seat down. So, after trying pry bars and clamps to pull or push on the rod to get him out of the bracket....I backed up. Put a scissor jack under the seat to lift with some pressure, and hit the bar with hammer and block, and it came loose. After only the first one, I may have bent the bar a bit, but no biggie. But, this sob was not going to move. I got under the dash with feet on the bottom and it would not budge. Interesting, but I would like to run into the engineer that came up with this nightmare. Yep, should be simple, and may have been for the first years.....but no mo.

Before I knew that the bottom was supposed to come out first I would take a long extension and remove the bolts that hold the bottom of the back and remove it first. This usually made it so that the bottom would come out easier.

What a great thought, I will look at this on the passenger side. tx I believe the magna had that great v4 engine??

It's been my experience that the more the seat gets pulled up before pushing it rearward, the more it bends the frame. The more the frame gets bent, the harder it is to remove and then the frame gets bent even more....

Someone had done that with my convertible. It was hell getting it out the first time. Once I got it out, I spent a few minutes and straightened out the frame and it comes out fairly easy now.

I will remain optimistic BigJohn....but not easy. Might have to do with the thing my wife calls me.....crusty.

it's a chore on my rear bench as well, although only on the drivers side for some reason... I will have to make sure next time that the frame rod(s) aren't bent or out of line. Never thought to go back and inspect it, I was always more intent on getting to another problem / just relieved to get the seat out & didn't want to mess with it

I am going to see where the rods are when I push back, and then adjust them to get about 1/8 inch of latch....and not a bit more. I suspect they were sprung into the catch and you could not push this seat back.....gonna fix that.

With the seat loose, and front seats out of the way, you can easily see the rods and latches. Mine have too much compression, and with the seat pushed back, are on the outer edge of the fixed latch plates. I am going to bend one side about 3/8 and the other 1/4 to relieve them a bit before going back.

My rod latch setup is quite tough, and hard to bend. Both rods are currently at an angle...not perpendicular to car line. So, I used a pipe wrench on the rods behind the latch portion, bent that and pulled the rods straight with the seat base. This moved them about 1/4 inch back. I just installed Mr Seat, and he went right in and latched down nicely. Happy camper, which on this job is unusual.

Back