Rear shocks

Fireguyfire

Reaction score
I’m wanting to replace the rear shocks on my 70 300. I’m having a hard time finding a modern shock listing at several auto parts stores.
Does anyone have a recommendation for a shock to install in the rear of C bodies?
The old shock number doesn’t cross reference

I see a PST ad in the right colum of this page. They are a sponsor here and offer discounts for us and free shipping on qualified orders. Click on Forums in the upper left and scroll down near the bottom and you will see their thread

I will be getting the Bilsteins from Firm Feel when the time comes. The are a few dollars cheaper there than with PST.

Thanks for the info. Sucks for us Canadians right now paying with the weak dollar and then crazy shipping costs, which was why I was hoping to find a replacement through NAPA or something similar.

Thanks for the info. Sucks for us Canadians right now paying with the weak dollar and then crazy shipping costs, which was why I was hoping to find a replacement through NAPA or something similar.
I'm sure they have a listing for it. If not try Rock Auto.

Sucks for us Canadians which was why I was hoping to find a replacement through NAPA or something similar.
I can't help it that you're a canook! Take out one shock, go to NAPA and have them measure the compressed length as well as the extended length. They can then go into their catalog and find a compatible replacement. I had to do this with a A-100 van. Good Luck

I have used KYB shocks on all my 1970-1971 C bodies. On my 1970 Chrysler 300, I have installed KYB Gas-a-Just KG4507 up front and KG5512 in the rear. Delighted with them, as I have been with the same ones on three 1970 Polaras and one 1971 Monaco. I have overall 15 or so thousands of miles on them.

Search the site for KYB and my handle, and you’ll find discussions, model numbers and parts sources.

I’m wanting to replace the rear shocks on my 70 300. I’m having a hard time finding a modern shock listing at several auto parts stores.
Does anyone have a recommendation for a shock to install in the rear of C bodies?
I suggest you buy nos shocks on ebay instead of the junk sold today. Kyb/Monroe are a shadow of their former self. I am not a fan of bilsteins but i love adjustable shocks as they work well, pricey though. I looked on e bay - there was a set of nos shocks that would fit your car for $89.00.

30 years ago I did put new front shocks on my '67 Monaco, and I did buy new gas-charged shocks for the rear but never got around to installing them.

shocks.jpg

Yes - bought them from Canadian tire. Price tag says $27 each. Made in Canada eh!

I will make it a point to install them this year.

Excellent, thanks gents
I also have KYB and sourced them out from Parts Avatar. Another place north of the border is TDot Performance who teamed up on Dragon's Den with one of the dragons ( canadian version of Shark Tank ).
TDot have a great customer service team who will check to make sure all is good.
Free shipping within Canada.

I suggest you buy nos shocks on ebay instead of the junk sold today. Kyb/Monroe are a shadow of their former self. I am not a fan of bilsteins but i love adjustable shocks as they work well, pricey though. I looked on e bay - there was a set of nos shocks that would fit your car for $89.00.
I score plenty good NOS ware off eBay, though for KYB I've done alright with their new stuff. The Gas-Adjust shocks do alright. I even ordered Monroe Load Levelizers, their coil-over shocks, and they're MADE IN THE U.S.A.! GASP! Some small shop in Tennessee made them for my '83 Dodge D150. Likewise, all 6 of the KYB shocks I ordered were made in Japan, a pleasant surprise as I'd bought them a few years previous and saw Made in Malaysia and Made in Taiwan on them respective boxes then. All the KYBs I've bought have served me very well for the $.

Be this as it may, I do keep a sharp eye on eBay for NOS shocks, though I've not scored on any at times I wanted them. I see plenty old AC Delco Pleasurizers which fit our rides, but am not sure I would trust the seals on stuff that age. I tried to score some Koni shocks once off a link provided from a fellow on this forum, but it turned out to be bunk.

I am a fellow Canuckian, I buy KYB shocks from Summit.
Also check Car Quest or Napa to see if they use a Supplier named Keystone Canada. They carry KYB shocks.
I know this since I was in the biz for years.
You can get Monroe shocks but I find the KYB's are a better ride for the buck.

I am a fellow Canuckian, I buy KYB shocks from Summit.
Also check Car Quest or Napa to see if they use a Supplier named Keystone Canada. They carry KYB shocks.
I know this since I was in the biz for years.
You can get Monroe shocks but I find the KYB's are a better ride for the buck.

KYB definitely gives better value for the dollar in general than anyone else. Be this as it may, for coil-over, heavy load shocks, the Monroes still do very well. I see Gabriel still competes with them, but I never have been too impressed with their wares, while Bilstein offers high performance for a STIFF tariff....

Back