Recommendation of a manufacurer for a 3.23 gear set

1966 300

Reaction score
I hav a 66 300 vert with a 440 TNT engine, 727 trans. and 3.23 gear set with 135,000 miles. At 35mph I begin to get a whine
out of the rear end. The faster I go, the louder the whine. Take my foot off the gas, the whine stops, No whine
when reducing the speed. I described the problem to an on line Chrysler mechanic, . he said I need a new 3.23 gear set.
I don't know anything about gear sets. I know there are people on this site with probable rear end noise experience.
Two questions:
1. Anyone have another opinion besides a new 3.23 gear set?
2. If a new 3.23 gear set is the way to go, What 3.23 manufacturer should I buy from?

I've been working on this car since 2001. It is a Canadian barn find. It is about 85 % complete and so far quite an adventure.

Thnks for your help!

I wo;ld pull the 3rd member and inspect the gears and bearings. Usually the whine you describe is caused by by too much end play in the pinnion shaft. This can sometimes be fixed with new bearings. Contaminated gear oil from moisture intrusion can also cause a whine, but that will usually persist at all ranges. Spicer or OEM gears are a good choice and Dr. Diff, www.drdiff.com should have them among others. Be sure not to use any of the crappy ChiCom bearings in you unit as part of the rebuild.

Dave

This is the one I went with. $970.00, rebuilt open differential. 45 yrs. experience.
68lo23 on eBay

Just contact the seller to specify how you want it built.
Mopar Madness
John Wolfe. Cell 970-218-9141

Last edited:
The symptom of noise on acceleration sounds like a rear pinion bearing to me.
Your ring and pinion gears might be OK.
If there is a local rebuilder your friends recommend, you might save some $ over replacing everything.

Back