NOT MINE Red 1967 Fury III 'Vert 4-Speed "H"-code 383 in M.A. On FB. $48,900

SportFury70

Reaction score
Oh boy here we go again with me posting another expensive c-body for sale :rolleyes::BangHead::lol:, this time a red with white interior 1967 Fury III convertible 4-speed "H"-code 383 in Hanover M.A. I am especially paging @PH27L7 as he has a '67 Fury 4-speed convertible and I would definitely want his opinion on this one. My opinion however is that the price is a little high on this one being a Fury III and NOT a Sport Fury, it's probably worth $35,000-40,000 to me but it does have a big block and is a nice color combo.

My questions though are......

1) Is it really a 4 speed car? because they do not show the fender tag, and I don't believe I see the braces a 4 speed should have under the hood unless they are there and I don't see them.

2) Why does the engine look orange?

3) Why does it have the wrong seat belts?

4) Why is the trunk carpet not original with a mat?

5) Was it an original A/C car with the modern compressor or did he swap out the old original compressor and put that in for weight reduction and efficiency?

Here is SOME information from the ad and the link for the ad, and I quote......

"1967 Plymouth Fury III Convertible Coupe brought to you by Zoom Classic Cars. Rebuilt 383CI/398HP Commando with Cam and bored .030 over coupled with rebuilt 4 speed manual transmission with added Hurst shifter. Purchased by the current owner in 2007 and fully restored in 2008. Engine rebuild by Reid's Automotive of MA included new alternator, electronic ignition, aluminum Edelbrock intake and Heads, aluminum radiator, Holley 4 barrel carb, vintage AC. all new hoses and clamps. Upgraded braking system with dual master cylinder. Body on the car is very straight all-around and all the panels line up nicely. New Red paint and white replacement interior in overall excellent condition."

Here are some pictures from the ad......
1668554126803.png

1668554148732.png

1668554176940.png

1668554201759.png

1668554223807.png

1668554349533.png

1668554392169.png

1668554416630.png

1668554437479.png

Waiting to hear more about PM27H74152425

It's not really a stock resto, they changed or modified lots of stuff. It's not coded for AC & the interior should be black per the fender tag. It is an original red 383HP 4-speed car. On the plus side, the body appears straight & the shown underbody pics look nice. It annoys me that they don't elaborate on any rust areas or give close ups of the really vulnerable places like the trunk & inside of rear quarters. Most of the trim looks excellent including the impossible-to-find wheel opening mouldings. From what I see & given all the unknowns IMHO it's worth more like half the asking price, maybe a bit more.

I saw this car online about month ago but didn't post it here as my gut said it wasn't an original 4-speed, and when I saw it there were fewer pics and no FT shown.
And the price was a lot lower, IIRC???

With that said - can someone with FT expertise explain which digits are for the 4-speed? (I know the 65 FT, but not the later years).
And also - how does one verify the FT belongs to this car? It doesn't have the VIN like later FTs do.
This FT is also riveted on, weren't they all screwed-down? My 65 and my 68 are.

To further what @68 4spd Fury said, not an original AC car.
There is an aftermarket bulkhead for the heater hoses. We would also see the blower motor poking thru. Unless during the restoration they reconfigured that area of the firewall from factory AC to aftermarket, which is certainly possible, but why would you put non-AC controls and plastic IP bezel panel in the dash??? Of course @PH27L7 confirmed it's not coded for AC anyway.

Ironically, it kinda looks like it's missing the air cleaner base, presumably to use an aftermarket base and allow the original cover to hide the Holley carb, presumably it has the 5-1/8" neck. I approve of that, to allow the original air cleaner (but the pinstriping - not so much!).
1669428717354.png

Engine seems to be wearing log manifolds - is it correct that 440hp first got HP manifolds in 67, but the 383 H-code didn't get HP manifolds until 68?

As @SportFury70 mentioned - I'm not seeing the fenderwell-firewall braces, either. I don't think they are there. They could've easily been lost, or not realized for their significance of originality, though.

Next:

A 66-68 should have the Inland and an oval boot bezel, but the listing says a Hurst was installed, which explains the rectangular bezel. (does not make me skeptical)
It's hard to tell from the pictures and the color of the carpeting, but the shifter tunnel looks funny for a C-body. Looks flat, and extends too far forward. (and that does make me skeptical)
And the whole area is covered by what seems to be a sewn-edge carpet overlay - which doesn't make me skeptical, however a molded carpet that fit the tunnel would better-suggest authenticity of floorpan.
1669426823606.png

66-68 hump:
1669426992385.png

62-65 hump:
I bought one of these years ago to see how well it fit a 65, and does not fit a C-body without trimming of the front section and also where it wraps over the tunnel (red), but the blue edges fit the floorpan/tunnel perfectly. I believe the 65-68 floorpans are the same in this regard (but willing to be proven wrong).
1669427153417.png

This looks like what might be under there - 66-70 or 71-74 B-body:
1669427405589.png

And here's a biggie - it has manual brake pedals on a power-brake booster.
Perhaps the booster was added, the listing does say 'upgraded braking system'.
When I did such a thing in 1992 or so, albeit with a 71 disc booster, I had to modify the pedal bracket a bit for the booster neck to nest inside. I wonder if it was the same scenario with this booster, or did it fit easily?

And I'm now exhausted from marking this all up.

But regardless, that's an unrealistic price for this car.
If an original 4-speed car, they modified and departed from original (like the seats and doorpanels) too much for it to command top-dollar price.
If it is quite simply a street machine - modified C-bodies rarely garner $50k.
Further - if we would consider the 4-speed as $15k of value (IMHO rarely is it worth that) would this car be worth $35k with an automatic? I think not.

Last edited:
Can someone with FT expertise explain which digits are for the 4-speed? (I know the 65 FT, but not the later years).

This FT is also riveted on, weren't they all screwed-down? prove of that, to allow the original air cleaner
View attachment 569060

Engine seems to be wearing log manifolds - is it correct that 440hp first got HP manifolds in 67, but the 383 H-code didn't get HP manifolds until 68?

Regarding your questions here......

1) I'm still learning about FT's, but I know the number for the transmission type is the 7th digit from the left side on the very bottom line, and I'm 99% sure the number on the tag which is 3 to be correct because 5 is for an automatic.

2) Regarding the FT's being screwed down or riveted because I too thought that they were all screwed down from the factory, I asked my stepdad whose been into Fury's for 30+ years about it and he said that not all FT's were screwed down and that it all depended on the factory they were built at

3) I would ask @FURYGT about this question, and I believe I'm wrong but 383 and 440HP's did not get HP manifolds till '68

As a side note though, I like the pinstripes on the air cleaner but NOT the fender wells

Regarding your questions here......

1) I'm still learning about FT's, but I know the number for the transmission type is the 7th digit from the left side on the very bottom line, and I'm 99% sure the number on the tag which is 3 to be correct because 5 is for an automatic.

2) Regarding the FT's being screwed down or riveted because I too thought that they were all screwed down from the factory, I asked my stepdad whose been into Fury's for 30+ years about it and he said that not all FT's were screwed down and that it all depended on the factory they were built at

3) I would ask @FURYGT about this question, and I believe I'm wrong but 383 and 440HP's did not get HP manifolds till '68

As a side note though, I like the pinstripes on the air cleaner but NOT the fender wells

#2 -Depending on the year and time of year, the Belvedere plant used rivets. Rivets are totally appropriate for this car.

My 2 cents-
The 3 definitely denotes a 4-speed. That car was built in the Belvidere assy plant where the tags were riveted. In '67 only 440HP's got the HP manifolds, not the 383's. In '68 the 383HP's got them. The top as well as the seats were originally black. The car came with manual drums but appears to have a disc conversion. The larger diameter booster likely precluded use of the firewall braces. The 4-speed hump looks a little odd but it's likely due to a misshapen carpet. Until recently there were no aftermarket 4-speed moulded carpets available so you had to wing it. They would have had to drill new holes to put in the rectangular shift boot but that's not necessary because oval boots & bezels are readily available for that shifter. Under hood it's super incorrect on many fronts but most folks don't give a crap about that anyway- at least it's clean. They did do a lot of work in changing the dash out to one with factory AC & it's a little odd they didn't go the extra yard & put in the factory control parts. You'd have to lay eyes on it to see how they rigged it up.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the inputs - being a legitimate 4-speed car (in spite of the mods), it will get saved into my data.

Mine, a 68 383Hp/4spd had a build date of 12/2/67. It had a hurst in it but was converted sometime prior to 1972 when the previous owner bought it. It originally had the inland unit, based on what was leftover of the upper and lower boots. I've been told this was a common conversion back then.

Back