For Sale (Relisted) 69 Chrysler Crown Coupe - RARE- - $10200 (Lakewwood)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not. I do know you like to flag fools on C/L though...:p

You can only flag in your local area provided by your IP, there were/are ways to get around it and the spammers know it, it's a constant battle with CL now that they charge for certain ad's.

Out of my area I can just use the hide button or I see to much of this.

Craigslist.SPAM.007.jpg

YL23K9G247774 has again been listed for sale by the same owner.

I communicated with him via text and phone last week and then talked to him at length on Thursday via a FaceTime video chat. I used a high-resolution monitor and he had a high-quality lens on his iPhone, so I have a pretty good idea of what the car is like.

Short story: photos of the roof made me I decide to pass on that Imp, even though I liked the seller and the car's appearance was really tempting me. Thanks go to several members, in particular @saforwardlook, @fc7_plumcrazy, @ImpJay, @Robert Saigh, and @Mr.Crowley, for taking time out of their own schedules to generously share their own thoughts/experiences and thereby to help me make up my mind.

Long story:
I. Good news:
1. IMHO, the owner (who's had the car for 6-7 years) is a straight shooter. To wit, he highlighted--unprompted by me--some of the flaws that I did not think of (e.g., the sticky/slightly discolored dash pad) and readily showed me whatever I asked him in a thorough fashion.

2. the interior is in mostly very good condition; main issues are a discolored/sticky dash, the minor cracks in the steering wheel and the driver-side rear plastic trim (seen in the ad), and the dome light not connected. AFAICT, that's it -- the rest is very nice, especially the seats/fabric and the headliner.

3. all electrics work (we checked all the switches, even the cigarette lighters work), although the rear driver-side window was very slow going down and got stuck partway when going back up. The hidden headlights work flawlessly as do all the light bulbs outside, and the headlight covers are aligned perfectly.

4. the trunk seems solid. Even though there was one partial repaint of a small section, it is an older repaint and I can't understand why it was repainted because there is no sign of repair. The trunk carpet seems original and in good condition, ditto for all the cardboard pieces.

5. the paint (an older repaint in the original color) looked good, except for some fading on the hood (up front, which the seller highlighted -- the discoloration was too faint for me to pick up on it on my own), a scrape on the driver-side rear fender (close to the bumper, which was not hurt), and of course the rust bubbles (seen in the ad).

6. The underside seems solid, surprisingly so given the rust at the bottom of the fenders and under the roof (see below)

II. Not so good news:
A. there is rust peeking throughout the vinyl top including at the bottom of the rear window. I was surprised, as the top already has been replaced (clearly the top is now white, not champagne as per the V1L code in the fender tag). Also, there are bubbles where the seams are (rear top, as well as rear sail panels). IMO the vinyl top has to go (cracking in many areas, and many small rust stains), and there is some repair work that will need to be done.

B. As the owner states in the ad, the car has been driven for less than 60 miles in the past 3 years. That means some reconditioning will be needed, although the engine did sound fine on the video chat. The owner volunteered that the suspension probably should be spruced up (not his words), but that the cAr drives well as is.

C. Body-wise, beside the rust spot shown in the ad (left rear wheel well), there are rust bubbles on the passenger-side front fender and rear quarter. Not tons (and no rusty stuff visible, but the rust is there hiding).

D. The H53 A/C does not work. The owner never drives the car in the cold and so does not know if the heater works.

For me, the roof is the main worry, and not something I am willing to bet on. For the right person, though, this car should be the ticket. IMO, the 1969 gills + the color + the 1970 rear bumper and wheel openings are really a great combo. Not "correct" -- but oh so beautiful.

PS: the photos in the ad are the same as last year, but here are a few that were not previously posted.

00F0F_cvV2ooQ85Xp_1200x900.jpg

00k0k_9ZNwJT0UgPJ_1200x900.jpg

01515_fRIEOBynTsz_1200x900.jpg

IMG_9060.jpeg

IMG_9067.jpeg

IMG_9068.jpeg

IMG_9062.jpeg

58204330257__DE3F1945-ECF0-4172-BFFA-E16E28BEE105.jpeg

Last edited:
I would only add that the oozing goo on the dashpad is actually perhaps a good thing. Over time, the plasticizers in the dashpad material do emerge from the vinyl, but it is easily cleaned off with cleaners such as "purple power" or the like grease cleaners for use on vinyl. Then a coating with some autoparts store preservative restores the original look to the pad. The fact that the vinyl contains those plasticizer in the first place means it will last longer without cracking when exposed to sunlight and the elements. It costs more for those vinyls, but they are worth it. They were used in the Chrysler and Imperial models but clearly were not used so much in the Dodge and Plymouth pads that crack easily over time, but do not ooze the goo either. It is comparatively rare to find a 1969 or 1970 dashpad that is cracked just from age but very common in Dodge and Plymouth pads. In the 1971 Chrysler and Imperial pads, they were still better than the Dodge and Plymouth ones, but there was significantly less plasticizer used so they dont ooze but they still have enough that the pads don't crack so easily still, but not as resistant to cracking as the 69/70 pads.

The car has again been listed for sale by the same owner.

I communicated with him via text and phone last week and then talked to him at length on Thursday via a FaceTime video chat. I used a high-resolution monitor and he had a high-quality lens on his iPhone, so I have a pretty good idea of what the car is like.

Short story: photos of the roof made me I decide to pass on that Imp, even though I liked the seller and the car's appearance was really tempting me. Thanks go to several members, in particular @saforwardlook, @fc7_plumcrazy, @ImpJay, @Robert Saigh, and @Mr.Crowley, for taking time out of their own schedules to generously share their own thoughts/experiences and thereby to help me make up my mind.

Long story:
I. Good news:
1. IMHO, the owner (who's had the car for 6-7 years) is a straight shooter. To wit, he highlighted--unprompted by me--some of the flaws that I did not think of (e.g., the sticky/slightly discolored dash pad) and readily showed me whatever I asked him in a thorough fashion.

2. the interior is in mostly very good condition; main issues are a discolored/sticky dash, the minor cracks in the steering wheel and the driver-side rear plastic trim (seen in the ad), and the dome light not connected. AFAICT, that's it -- the rest is very nice, especially the seats/fabric and the headliner.

3. all electrics work (we checked all the switches, even the cigarette lighters work), although the rear driver-side window was very slow going down and got stuck partway when going back up. The hidden headlights work flawlessly as do all the light bulbs outside, and the headlight covers are aligned perfectly.

4. the trunk seems solid. Even though there was one partial repaint of a small section, it is an older repaint and I can't understand why it was repainted because there is no sign of repair. The trunk carpet seems original and in good condition, ditto for all the cardboard pieces.

5. the paint (an older repaint in the original color) looked good, except for some fading on the hood (up front, which the seller highlighted -- the discoloration was too faint for me to pick up on it on my own), a scrape on the driver-side rear fender (close to the bumper, which was not hurt), and of course the rust bubbles (seen in the ad).

6. The underside seems solid, surprisingly so given the rust at the bottom of the fenders and under the roof (see below)

II. Not so good news:
A. there is rust peeking throughout the vinyl top including at the bottom of the rear window. I was surprised, as the top already has been replaced (clearly the top is now white, not champagne as per the V1L code in the fender tag). Also, there are bubbles where the seams are (rear top, as well as rear sail panels). IMO the vinyl top has to go (cracking in many areas, and many small rust stains), and there is some repair work that will need to be done.

B. As the owner states in the ad, the car has been driven for less than 60 miles in the past 3 years. That means some reconditioning will be needed, although the engine did sound fine on the video chat. The owner volunteered that the suspension probably should be spruced up (not his words), but that the cAr drives well as is.

C. Body-wise, beside the rust spot shown in the ad (left rear wheel well), there are rust bubbles on the passenger-side front fender and rear quarter. Not tons (and no rusty stuff visible, but the rust is there hiding).

D. The H53 A/C does not work. The owner never drives the car in the cold and so does not know if the heater works.

For me, the roof is the main worry, and not something I am willing to bet on. For the right person, though, this car should be the ticket. IMO, the 1969 gills + the color + the 1970 rear bumper and wheel openings are really a great combo. Not "correct" -- but oh so beautiful.

PS: the photos in the ad are the same as last year, but here are a few that were not previously posted.

View attachment 294349

View attachment 294350

View attachment 294351

View attachment 294352

View attachment 294353

View attachment 294354

View attachment 294355

View attachment 294356

That car is KILLER!

Hey everybody, this is my car & I see it got posted here on this marvelous forum. Thanks Avilar for putting ur opinion & those of others out there. The more that know about this car, the better. someone might see the car that ignites their dreams & come get it. I have been offered $7K for it, but that is simply too low for this rare automobile. As he said I have nothing to hide & if I am contacted you will get my honest opinion of the car. If it was perfect it would be far more expensive & listed on many more sites. If you have any questions don’t hesitate to call me & i’m Already driving Pearl (her name) more this summer than I did the previous 2 years

Asking price is down $500 to $10.2k, and a few pics added to the ad (trunk, dash).

01717_gM1m1bcaUjv_1200x900 2.jpg

00p0p_5JrVzdNUdd3_1200x900 2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back