Removing Rear Window Motor 1970 Chrysler

Big_John

Illegitimi non carborundum
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
The window motor in my '70 300 has failed. Yes, I've checked all the electrical...

The problem is getting the motor out. It has failed with the window down and there is no coaxing it up.

I've tried to remove the entire regulator and that's not going well at all.... I did a search and found this thread: Power Window regulator removal 1969 300 vert

The last two posts show drilling a couple access holes and removing the motor, leaving the regulator in the door. That sounds great, but in that case the window is stuck in the up position. Mine is in the down.

So.... If I were to drill these holes and unbolt the motor, it seems like the spring pressure on the regulator is going to force the window up.... and probably quite violently.

If I can clamp the regulator in place (maybe bolt/nut) does it make sense that I can just r/r the motor without much drama?

A couple pics from that thread:

1649972195567.png

1649972220577.png

If you remove the motor with the glass attached to the regulator the glass won’t fly up, it won’t want to go up by itself at all, the spring just balances out the weight of the glass.

Remove the motor then you should be able to put the glass up by hand to get the motor back in.

If you remove the motor with the glass attached to the regulator the glass won’t fly up, it won’t want to go up by itself at all, the spring just balances out the weight of the glass.

Remove the motor then you should be able to put the glass up by hand to get the motor back in.
That makes a lot of sense to me.

I would be wary of taking things apart with the window down. Are the two bolts that attach the window to the track accessible? If not, perhaps a couple more holes are in order?

Screenshot_20220415-124624~2.png

I would be wary of taking things apart with the window down. Are the two bolts that attach the window to the track accessible? If not, perhaps a couple more holes are in order?

The two top bolts circled are for the track adjustment and behind the two red circles are the bottom fasteners for the track. I can get at them through the access hole, although it doesn't look easy.

1650059367170.png

Here's a view looking down at the top fasteners.

nv4D5YI.jpg

So, yes, the track could be taken out, but that would still leave the window in place, albeit loose.

I can get to the bolts that hold the glass with a swivel socket and extension, so taking just the glass out is fairly easy. Note my finger tip pointing at the glass fastener. (the warning label was on my light). I can do that and leave the track in place.

ZpeDuQ1.jpg

That still leaves maneuvering the regulator out. I think the pivot bracket (basically a channel one of the regulator arms ride in) has to come out, but I'm still not sure if the regulator will come out.

window.jpg

Motor is out. @413 was 100% right, the spring wasn't a factor at all.

I drilled some holes to get at the motor bolts but didn't need to for the lower bracket.

So.... Getting the new motor prepped and I hit a snag. The wire connector is different but no big deal... Just have to change the insulator.

sSTL4UB.jpg

Here's the problem.... The lower bracket needs to be bolted on the bottom of the motor. Sounds easy enough until you look at the where the wire comes out of the new motor. The wires will interfere with the bracket.

qkPvVRd.jpg

cmsJ47l.jpg

xkypG7F.jpg

I thought maybe I could turn the end of the motor, but it's keyed. I took the old one apart to figure this out and found the problem with the old motor.... A brush was stuck and there's grease and crud all over the commutator. So... I'll try fixing the old motor. If all goes well, I'll start another thread and document the repair.

Back