Replacement antenna '65 Newport

Omni

Reaction score
Good Evening All

Is there a replacement antenna that has a removable mast but looks stock that will work on a '65 Newport?
I ask because I remove the masts in the winter when the car covers go on. That way I don't have to cut a hole in the covers.

I don't believe that the stock mast is removable from the base, and later model ('68 and up) use a larger base.

Thanks to all who respond.
Omni

The '65-'67 manual antennas are all "solid" one-piece items. No removable masts. They can be a bit expensive to replace, too. IF you might find a correct power antenna, then to go the effort to rebuild and install it, possibly with a hidden accessory switch to raise and lower it, then that might be a good option for you.

In any event, the base escutheon needs to match the contours of the front fender, which makes them model year-specific.

The other option is an aftermarket, universal-fit antenna, with the "ball-mount" that can be loosened and adjusted to the angle desired, if not vertical.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Power antennas are rear mounted in 65, and don't retract all the way, so you're still stuck with the same issue. As noted above, there are no stock antennas for your car that have a removable mast, unfortunately.

If you're serious about it, there are antenna tools specific to our cars that allow for the removal of the bezel that holds the antenna onto the fender, allowing you to remove the entire antenna in about a minute or so. Installation is easy too! The special socket tools have special prongs that fit into the slots in the nut, and allow you to turn it with a wrench. A tool worth having if you remove antennas regularly...

For Mopar dash switch & Antenna tool charger hemi dodge Plymouth coronet dart rt | eBay

Good Day All
Thanks for the replies. I do have an assortment of the 'spanner' type tools for antennas and dash switches.
Removal of the entire antenna would be a viable option. However, on my Newport, the antenna removal would also require some panel removal also as the antenna does not drop straight down inside the fender as they do an 'A' and 'B' body cars.
I just went out to the 'Man Cave' to see what is possible.
You can drop the antenna down, providing that the cable is unhooked from the radio. You need about 18" of antenna lead in order to do this. The antenna will still protrude past the fender, but only about an inch.
I guess that if you wanted to remove it entirely, you would have to remove several bolts from the wheel house in order to have enough clearance.
In any event I can live with the 1" protrusion. I also have a piece on antenna lead that will allow me to do this without having to unhook from the radio each time.

Thanks aging for the replies.
Omni

You can drop the antenna down, providing that the cable is unhooked from the radio. You need about 18" of antenna lead in order to do this. The antenna will still protrude past the fender, but only about an inch.

This is the way my '65 Barracuda is and I believe that I have the "correct" OE antennae. I just push it all the way down and that is fine for the cover I use.

FWIW, the power antennae in my '70 300 sticks up about 6" and I have put a hole with a grommet in the cover and that works out fine.

Funny thing is neither antennae ever gets extended. Local radio sucks (and that's being generous) and I got used to my satellite radio from my days behind the wheel when I was working, so both cars have satellite radio and I never turn on the AM-FM.

Hi big John , I have a photo of what I got for my 65 fury don’t know if it will work on your car or not.
1C1D3F87-EB6D-44AF-B9A3-40577E19B465.jpeg

Key thing would be to get that Ford antenna interfaced with the Plymouth excutcheon on the fender. IF that can happen, it would probably be a good answer for those without a flat fender surface the antenna might mount onto?

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Back