Replacing upper distributor bushing and related questions (CAP)

Are you sure you know what you're doing? :D

Are you sure you know you are replying to a post from 2021? :D
I am puzzled about the purpose of your question? Isn't one of the purposes of a forum, that you can seek advice if you are not 100% sure what your are doing?
I was probably wrong about why the oil hole in the bushing was misaligned. I used regular bronze in stead of Oilite. And I reamed the bushing in stead of burnishing it in place.
Other than that; the repair worked and I was fortunate to receive good advice from the forum members here.

One things with new bushings they should be burnished which locks them into the housing. I do not think he will have that issue though.

We are never going to find out how my reamed bushing will last. The 5° ATDC base timing for the CAP distributor made the car very hard to start. So I only drove it a few times before I put in an electronic ignition. As mentioned earlier in this thread I would have chosen a refurbished non-CAP distributor if I had lived on the North American continent, where NORS points etc. are easier to source.

Are you sure you know you are replying to a post from 2021? :D
I am puzzled about the purpose of your question? Isn't one of the purposes of a forum, that you can seek advice if you are not 100% sure what your are doing?
I was probably wrong about why the oil hole in the bushing was misaligned. I used regular bronze in stead of Oilite. And I reamed the bushing in stead of burnishing it in place.
Other than that; the repair worked and I was fortunate to receive good advice from the forum members here.

We are never going to find out how my reamed bushing will last. The 5° ATDC base timing for the CAP distributor made the car very hard to start. So I only drove it a few times before I put in an electronic ignition. As mentioned earlier in this thread I would have chosen a refurbished non-CAP distributor if I had lived on the North American continent, where NORS points etc. are easier to source.
If ever needed I have that stuff and have shipped there before if needed. I do feel your shipping pain!

Back