Reverse lights not working

440sportfury

Reaction score
Hello my car has been off the road for a number of years the motor and tranny were done and it was in the body shop for believe it or not 3 years my problem is my revers lights are not working I am getting no power to the sockets. I had some wires that were cracked which were fixed properly and everything works. I changed all the fuses. I am still not getting any power. Could it have anything to do with the neutral safety switch or if anyone has any idea I would appreciate it. Thank You Frank

Funny. I have the opposite problem. Mine come on in drive and reverse. Haven't had the time to sort it out yet. Do you have power to the neutral safety switch?

If you have good wiring, your problem is probably either the neutral safety switch or the rubber plug that hooks to it. The plugs frequently corroded.

Dave

Or the reverse lamp switch at the base of the steering column needs to be adjusted or replaced.

The 68 Fury doesn't use the neutral switch as the reverse light switch, so that's not your problem.

John and FuryGT are right. It was not until later that Mopars had the 3 pin neutral safety switch. The switch at the base of the column should have two wires hooked to it. If you span the two connectors on the switch, that will complete the circuit and your reverse lights should come on with the key in the on position. If the lights do not come on, your problem lies elsewhere in the wiring.

Dave

My 68 has issues with the reverse lights...but that's mainly because the column shift is stretched/misaligned. I can see the reverse lights flash as I shift through P-R-N on my way to D...so it's just my lazy fault that I haven't adjusted the linkage. IIRC, that's very easy, with instructions somewhere on this site.

May want to check that before tearing apart the more complicated stuff...

If this is a 68 with column shift, make sure the plastic pin that rotates as the gear lever is moved is still there. When it rotates, it slides the mating part on the switch to trigger the lights. This all happens way down the column towards the firewall. My 300's is gone and is the only thing keeping my rev lights from working correctly. NOS ones aren't priced very nicely...

Pics attached of some I found online last year.

Pat

RevLightOpLvr 10-8-17.JPG

RevLightSwPic 10-8-17.JPG

My 68 has issues with the reverse lights...but that's mainly because the column shift is stretched/misaligned. I can see the reverse lights flash as I shift through P-R-N on my way to D...so it's just my lazy fault that I haven't adjusted the linkage. IIRC, that's very easy, with instructions somewhere on this site.

May want to check that before tearing apart the more complicated stuff...
Thank you for your response I Checked my switch and the light turn on I have no linkage that that is quite a mystery. I am sort I was late responding I had a funeral to attend

If this is a 68 with column shift, make sure the plastic pin that rotates as the gear lever is moved is still there. When it rotates, it slides the mating part on the switch to trigger the lights. This all happens way down the column towards the firewall. My 300's is gone and is the only thing keeping my rev lights from working correctly. NOS ones aren't priced very nicely...

Pat

View attachment 218022

View attachment 218023
Thank You I apologize for the late response I had a funeral to attend that is the exact piece my car is missing. Quite A mystery I always had reverse lights till I got it back from the body shop. Hopefully I will be able to locate one Thanks again Frank

John and FuryGT are right. It was not until later that Mopars had the 3 pin neutral safety switch. The switch at the base of the column should have two wires hooked to it. If you span the two connectors on the switch, that will complete the circuit and your reverse lights should come on with the key in the on position. If the lights do not come on, your problem lies elsewhere in the wiring.

Dave
Thank you I am sorry for my late response my switch is working but I am Missing the plastic piece that activates the switch Thank You

Thank You I apologize for the late response I had a funeral to attend that is the exact piece my car is missing. Quite A mystery I always had reverse lights till I got it back from the body shop. Hopefully I will be able to locate one Thanks again Frank
Thank yoou so much to take the time to take those pictures its a great help

Dave
Or the reverse lamp switch at the base of the steering column needs to be adjusted or replaced.
Bill thanks for all your help

Pat

View attachment 218022

View attachment 218023
T was able to purchase one on E bay out of curiosity how hard is that to install
Thank You

T was able to purchase one on E bay out of curiosity how hard is that to install
Thank You

I've never installed. Service manual makes it seem almost easy, but crawling underneath the dash, it looks challenging to put in place.

Pat

I have the same issu. You can see the switch or lever post is loose but getting to it to make adjustments is a bear. Any suggestions on how to make it easy ER.

Back