Right rear drum dragging

Second test drive. Front wheels were 150F, back left 105F, back right 220F. I jacked up the the rear right and I could move it, but it was definitely restricted.

I won't be able to work on it unless I get a rainy day this week. Thanks for the info now I have items to test, and take care of my axle play too.

Yes it can, you shouldn't drive on new bearings with side play in the axles, they wont bed properly plus with a little side play which ever side is sticking out a bit more will be the side that will be off center, the axle shaft to the axle housing because of the weight of the car on it. Since it is only a two minute job, I believe you should get the side play tightened up via the screw ring on the passenger side, then take it for a drive again.

Forgive my ignorance Gary, but what is this screw ring you speak of?

upload_2018-9-30_20-15-13.png

Here is a picture out of my service manual. It is only on the right axle shaft. It presses against the flange and removes the axle shaft play

Forgive my ignorance Gary, but what is this screw ring you speak of?
View attachment 217409

Here is a picture out of my service manual. It is only on the right axle shaft. It presses against the flange and removes the axle shaft play
Yup that's it, the adjuster. I figured no one would know what I was talking about if I said thingy. All it takes is to partially undo the bolt holding the lock, then tap the adjuster around with a screwdriver in a clockwise direction to tighten everything up.

Gary thanks so much for your advice. The service manual doesn't give the technique of dealing with a 50 year old car. I have also noticed many things are implied, but since I am a novice, and not an experienced mechanic, some of my repairs have ended up giving me issues down the road. Your kind of advice and what I have received from others, is helping me do it right the first time.:thankyou:

I still enjoy, believe it or not, working on my own car, the knowledge I have learned here is immense. It will also prepare me for my next C body and its challenges. :)

Last edited:
Back