Sadie - 1974 Imperial LeBaron

When they switched to NY'ers in 1976-78 they went back to drum brakes for cost savings purposes I've been told.

Congratulations on your purchase! The 1974 Imperial is one of

Congratulations on your new 1974 Imperial! The 74's are one of my favorite years, and I'm sure it's extra classy in triple black! Be sure to check out the 1974 Imperial commercial on You Tube with Richard Basehart's voice, it's a really great commercial!! Best of luck

Thanks a lot I appreciate it and I love that advert! Of course we can't forget Ricardo Montalbán's ''Corinthian Leather'' advertisements of the 1970's either.

I accidentally found her on CL about seven days ago when I was doing my millionth search for a 72 Fury/72 Newport here 1974 Chrysler Imperial (Don't think it'll be up much longer, now :D) and when I saw it I fell in love with it. Since then I've been in contact with the seller who told me it belonged to his Father who passed away. He bought it at an auction in 2015 and replaced it with new brakes, new A/C and replaced the gas tank in it (Had been sitting for quite some time with old gas). The original owner bought it in 1975 if I read correctly, and owned it most of its life and it never once saw snow (claimed) but I have to say it has no major issues save for needing the Power window fixed so I'm as proud as can be to really be part of the C-Body club now. We made the trip all the way up to Iowa just to get it. Now the challenge is going to be driving it all the way back to TN (It's doing pretty great so far)
So are you guys doing a road trip with a trailer close by or driving it freestyle...no safety net? probably 650 miles one way home? You should post some road trip photos like @BLIMP and @LocuMob did recently with their finds.

Better yet... check your garage length with a tape measure...quickly.

Yes I've already gotten started on that venture XD She's going to sit outside for a day while we get our garage all cleaned out. I'm confident it'll fit because we were able to fit a 1997 Chevrolet Suburban comfortably in there one time.

So are you guys doing a road trip with a trailer close by or driving it freestyle...no safety net? probably 650 miles one way home? You should post some road trip photos like @BLIMP and @LocuMob did recently with their finds.

We're driving her home the old fashioned way. My Grandfather is thankfully helping me get the car where it needs to go. We're staying in IL and headed back to TN the next day. I'll try and grab some more pictures too. She's run like a clock so far (speaking of clocks, the Chronometer works pretty well too), I think the longer we've been driving the better it's been performing. (Since it died at first) I believe all it needed was to warm up. Being a show car I doubt it had been driven like this for a good 20+ years.

Last edited:
We're driving her home the old fashioned way. My Grandfather is thankfully helping me get the car where it needs to go. We're staying in IL and headed back to TN the next day. I'll try and grab some more pictures too. She's run like a clock so far, I think the longer we've been driving the better it's been performing. I think all it needed was to warm up.
Now that's a cool Grandfather.

Took some more pictures for everybody! She carried us to IL safely (even through a monsoon) Here’s hoping the TN trip goes well too.

A9A3FF48-C4E3-496D-97BF-AFC13445B8A8.jpeg

EFE0C33E-985C-4671-864B-5CC547B65FAB.jpeg

1FC12323-5A7D-4222-B120-9372505B3732.jpeg

4DDF21E9-1AEA-4AD0-8566-00CB27947CCD.jpeg

8BB83532-1A4E-4BCA-AD7A-147505D828B3.jpeg

9BF92A20-C548-44C3-B7EC-D2BE60DFF7CE.jpeg

Wow man your Imp is really sharp!
I'm off work tomorrow and live along I-80...if thats your route and you have issues/need a hand, I'll do my best to assist.

You got a nice car! I talked to the owner and was going to run over to look at her. Good Luck!

Wow man your Imp is really sharp!
I'm off work tomorrow and live along I-80...if thats your route and you have issues/need a hand, I'll do my best to assist.

Thanks! I really appreciate that. Hoping she doesn't die again. I'm doubting it though because once I got her running again it ran a lot smoother and the exhaust filtered out much cleaner as well. I think it just hadn't been driven like that in a good 15-20 years so it just needed to be broken in again.

You got a nice car! I talked to the owner and was going to run over to look at her. Good Luck!

Thanks! She's going to be pampered for sure. The seller was helpful and he let us take home the repair manuals along with the plates so we could drive it to TN. He went 'I hope he's not going to be taking this to college or something' With the way those students drive through that parking lot, not to mention the door dings, heck, I would never subject her to being around a bunch of college students who are too busy blasting rap music and texting to pay attention to cars around them. (Almost got run down by one of them on their phone while walking to class)

Cool, best of luck on your adventure and keep the pictures coming.

Thank you and that Blue Fuselage Imperial is absolutely breath-taking. A Fuselage Imperial is definitely on my list of dream cars next to a 72 Fury 4 Door. This 74 will definitely be a keeper though. Don't ever plan on letting this one go.

Very nice!

Where's @cantflip ?
Thank you for the heads up Big John!
Hi everyone! I posted not too long ago looking for a 1972 Plymouth Fury 4Dr but I've put that hunt aside for now for this yacht. I'll send more pictures soon. Just glad to finally have a C-Body! She's a massive 20 foot long triple black boat! Once I get her home I'll get some more photos. Here's what I have for now! Only thing I'll need to do for now is have the driver's side power window fixed. Hope you guys like her! I'm keeping it 100% stock, which seems to be uncommon for people my age when it comes to cars like this (might be the youngest Imperial LeBaron owner.) viewing the Dealer Brochure it looks like this is in 'Formal Black' topped off with power everything and a 440 4-Barrel engine.
Excellent score young man... Wholy Fluck, I just got to say "young man"...:wtf:

I hope you don't mind, I am documenting the ad copy here...
1974 Chrysler Imperial - $6500
00B0B_2Q3h4pe8TQf_1200x900.jpg
00N0N_dm2wL6EYMFM_1200x900.jpg
01515_dlli0yzYWh6_1200x900.jpg
00101_3aUrMYs43Ig_1200x900.jpg
00J0J_4F3Zmt6B8kb_1200x900.jpg
00F0F_lXTjbfGdVSf_1200x900.jpg
01313_7CVbnu5zSWO_1200x900.jpg
01515_dk9nK75tqp5_1200x900.jpg
00U0U_hq9a8qnEL8A_1200x900.jpg
00l0l_eZzfe3v4wLk_1200x900.jpg
00i0i_4S1MrSgn7bI_1200x900.jpg

"I have for sale a 74'Chrysler Imperial in excellent condition. It has the 440 New Yorker motor with 31,000 actual miles. This car is loaded with options including leather seats and air conditioning. Must see! $6500"

I am somewhat familiar with this car, but have never seen her in person.
Help me understand the Formal market. Please!

Did some more research on her and I found this! Apparently it was part of the Grant J. Quam car collection at one point. I do know that the seller's father purchased it when it went up for auction later in 2015.

Photos: Rare Cars The Grant J. Quam Collection

(One not so great thing is that she did die on me while I was driving but I managed to pull over and get it started up again by letting it sit for a while. Might need to take it in to get looked at when we reach IL - the in between point. Let the maintenance and fixes begin :rolleyes:)
I was the second place bidder on the car. Good job on the research...
We're driving her home the old fashioned way. My Grandfather is thankfully helping me get the car where it needs to go. We're staying in IL and headed back to TN the next day. I'll try and grab some more pictures too. She's run like a clock so far (speaking of clocks, the Chronometer works pretty well too), I think the longer we've been driving the better it's been performing. (Since it died at first) I believe all it needed was to warm up. Being a show car I doubt it had been driven like this for a good 20+ years.
She needed that road trip... FWIW... the seller lost $$ getting her out of moth balls, fixing the brakes and the fuel system and she looks to have been nicely detailed... I'll assume a set of tires was involved as well, because she had sat for many years prior to the auction. The loss of this car in that auction eventually drove me to FCBO... So I kinda love and hate you at the same time :poke:.

By all accounts, the mileage was documented at the time of the auction... respect it, but please do not let that stop you from continuing to drive her. Keep her safe, she's a one of kind... considering that's pretty much a survivor car you've got there.

That said, I will do what I can to help you with whatever she needs in the future, for fun, offer me first right's if she ever is sold... I did very well in the Black 74 Imperial hunt myself... so I won't covet her too much.

BTW, your timing sucks, as I think you may have displaced the title for "Nicest Formal Anywhere"... but at least the OP still has the best in Florida :lol:.

I am glad she has resurfaced, I have wondered about what happened to your car... I'm glad she was loved and is getting more love.:welcome:

Jeff

Thank you for the heads up Big John!

Excellent score young man... Wholy Fluck, I just got to say "young man"...:wtf:

I hope you don't mind, I am documenting the ad copy here...
1974 Chrysler Imperial - $6500View attachment 193022 View attachment 193023 View attachment 193024 View attachment 193025 View attachment 193026 View attachment 193027 View attachment 193028 View attachment 193029 View attachment 193030 View attachment 193031 View attachment 193032

BTW, your timing sucks, as I think you may have displaced the title for "Nicest Formal Anywhere"... but at least the OP still has the best in Florida :lol:.

I am glad she has resurfaced, I have wondered about what happened to your car... I'm glad she was loved and is getting more love.:welcome:

Jeff

I would say "Nicest Original Formal Anywhere".

My NYB is starting to move up the ranks....especially with the new engine I'll have in it pretty soon. All body work done and new paint and new vinyl. I also have a newer leather interior, door panels, dash pad. A one of none blue leather steering wheel. LOL!:poke:

Back