Saturday window repair

73 T&C

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
The passenger side front window had been slow of late. The other day I went to put it down and all it did was budge. Luckily it budged back up before the motor gave up the ghost.

so I spent this Saturday doing....

66EB2BF2-F897-45E0-9DD9-0B793E4BCABF.jpeg

But first... I’d gotten a report from an admirer that the brake lights were not always working. Checked the plugs on the brake switch. One was loose and the other wasn’t much better. pulled the plugs apart and tweaked the clips toward the back. All better now.

For those wondering.... I used the wife’s mop.

379C0255-2497-4DDA-95AC-1CD5AFF5F5E9.jpeg

had been meaning to polish the wheel and center emblem for some time. Used 3M perfect it polish ( I use that **** in everything) and some Meguire’s car wax. Whatdayathink?

9BA3AC60-8D1C-40A9-8E32-5A7954D5FEF9.jpeg

Pulled one of my ones/old motors out of my stash tested it and swapped out this toasted drive wheel for the one I had in the car... along with the drive housing and door clip.

It started getting kind of slow in testing on the car so....

686877FB-7BC9-4245-9F9E-57DF63FFBAC8.jpeg

Next!!!!

this one was much faster and torqueier (is that a word?)

D39110D0-A623-4C43-8317-7D00AAAABE6E.jpeg

put it all back together and Voilà (pardon my French)

Last edited:
What do you do about the plastic film covering all once you expose the inner door? My rear 2 windows don’t work anymore. I suspect bad motors. Also ideas where to find them? TIA

What do you do about the plastic film covering all once you expose the inner door? My rear 2 windows don’t work anymore. I suspect bad motors. Also ideas where to find them? TIA
The plastic should be carefully removed and replaced before putting the door panel back. I've seen many methods for this (Tape, spray glue etc.).

As for your window motors...repair them. Easily done.

If the window motors are dead Dorman Products make replacement window motors. O'Reilly Auto Parts can get them. If you have any problems, PM me and I'll hook you up w/ a source.

10 mil visqueen works great! In case you don’t know what that is, it’s the plastic film used in construction between the soil and the concrete slab. Home Depot has it.

I was able to re-use my original.

I used spray glue to put it back in.

10 mil visqueen works great! In case you don’t know what that is, it’s the plastic film used in construction between the soil and the concrete slab. Home Depot has it.

I was able to re-use my original.

I used spray glue to put it back in.

I second that, not sure if it's "visqueen", but I use heavy poly, and as a cheat, I use 1/2"x1/16" two sided foam tape, rather than contact cement.

Back