Seafoam

Greg

Reaction score
My neighbor suggested that I use a seafoam treatment prior to changing my oil, has anyone done this and how did it work. I have a 64 New Yorker 413. Rebuilt about 10,000 miles ago

1693693604273.png

My neighbor suggested that I use a seafoam treatment prior to changing my oil, has anyone done this and how did it work. I have a 64 New Yorker 413. Rebuilt about 10,000 miles ago
As with any other cleaning product, use at your own risk. This and other products like it will break up carbon deposits accumulated dirt in the crankcase. If the engine is very dirty, a lot of crud can break free at once and cause problems. I do not use any crank case cleaner for that reason.

Dave

I've only used it for fuel, and that was almost thirty years ago.

I cant imagine any need to clean up a motor with only ten thousand miles on it!!

If there was a product strong enough to break crud loose on a high mileage engine, youd likely clog the oil pickup screen and spin rod bearings before you realize what youd done.

My F150 has 360,000 miles on it, I did it last summer for shits and giggles in the fuel, oil and down the throat, other than producing a lot of smoke of which they say it will do, I noticed no difference.

As mentioned above, snake oil, in my opinion.. another good point mentioned above, it could break loose some nasty stuff that is better left alone inside the engine. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.!!

Thanks to all, I do use it fuel for storage and will not use it in the engine, I appreciate the feedback!

It actually does keep broken down additives in oil from adhering to internal engine components.

Engines that I’ve disassembled that have used it regularly are noticeably cleaner, than those that did not use it.

It’s not designed as an engine flush/cleaner, it does help keep engine internals fresh.

Use it from the get go and keep your internals clean.

Don’t expect a lot from a high
mileage engine that’s been neglected.

Last edited:
The old skool version of this was to replace the engine oil with kerosene, run it, refill with oil.

There is a video by Project Farm on youtube about Seafoam and his very wore out Ford Ranger.
It's worth a watch. Years ago I spent some time with a Seafoam Rep. He said Deep Creep was the same solution as regular Seafoam only in aerosol form. The bottom line is this really, maintenance. Change your oil on a regular basis, service the car on a regular basis. I run a can of cheap *** fuel treatment every oil change in my daily driver, and only run ethanol free the oldies. Use quality products and don't abuse the car. You really shouldn't have any troubles. At least none that are unexpected.

They sell plenty of it, at a high price, and people who use it swear by it, or so the countermen tell me...
Hadacol had a similar following. It was good stuff for sure. It would serve its intended purpose, if not what it advertised to.

If your radiator leaks and your motor stands still
Give 'er Hadacol and watch 'er boogie up the hill!

Back