Seat belt questions - cleaning them, and diff's between '67 and after (buckle is chromed vs plastic covered)

MoPar~Man

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Regarding the buckles - I have some where the buckles are coated in what looks like a thin layer of plastic, with a texture to it, I think they're from 1968 (some have that on the tags, but also say 1967). My original '67 Monaco has all chrome-plated buckles. Was there a regulation regarding the buckles and the coating and did it change in 68 or am I just seeing differences in Chrysler vs Dodge?

Also, some people say dunk the belts, clasps / buckles and all into water with oxy-clean, for a few hours or even a day. Others say oxy-clean will react with the metal. Can't put them in a washing machine, so what's good way to clean old belts (with minimal use of elbow grease)?

I did a little bit of pre clean scrubbing, then ran them through the dish washer. Hung them out to dry, and they came out nice and clean!

1AF4F07D-D350-4DAC-B5A0-5A045AD8B3B8.jpeg
55041D9B-499E-4B31-9622-5B3B96B2E36D.jpeg
C831DAFC-5B36-4217-A6ED-2B7D1ADC519A.jpeg

The ‘68’s are just black paint (or color coded paint) over the top metal buckle latch that has texture. In ‘68 they seemed to start toning down bright reflections in the interior.

When the dishwasher itself needs a good cleaning, there's always the tang treatment.

Back