Shaft in rebuilt column not long enough

Commandough

Reaction score
Good morning, I have an issue I'm trying to troubleshoot, and if I can avoid the solution being welding it, that is what I'm hoping to find. I am converting my 68 T&C to buckets and had a console steering column from a 68 sport fury. I rebuilt it last spring and after mocking it up, found the rag joint is a good 3 inches short from hooking up with the ps box. I can't extend the shaft (original wagon column must have been longer and also had the collapsible shaft) but my assumption was the c body shaft had to be interchangeable. Is there a way to bridge the gap with a coupler? Are these on the aftermarket to stretch the end of the shaft or rag if needed to get out to the box, or attach to the box to extend out to the rag joint?

Good morning, I have an issue I'm trying to troubleshoot, and if I can avoid the solution being welding it, that is what I'm hoping to find. I am converting my 68 T&C to buckets and had a console steering column from a 68 sport fury. I rebuilt it last spring and after mocking it up, found the rag joint is a good 3 inches short from hooking up with the ps box. I can't extend the shaft (original wagon column must have been longer and also had the collapsible shaft) but my assumption was the c body shaft had to be interchangeable. Is there a way to bridge the gap with a coupler? Are these on the aftermarket to stretch the end of the shaft or rag if needed to get out to the box, or attach to the box to extend out to the rag joint?
Wow, this might have to do with the shorter Fury stub frame, but I have no experience with pre-fusie C's, hopefully someone will chime in. What is the length of the rag extension, the part the mates with the PS box? Can you post some pics?

I'll post some tonight. I mainly need a safe way to accomplish this, wagon is for my wife and kids, so if welding something in place is the only way to go, OK. I'd hate to disassemble the shaft, but may need to do that also.

That would have been an option in April of 2020, unfortunately I've already rebuilt the 68 Fury column. I still have the original T&C column in parts, but am hoping someone has the answer for getting my shorter shaft and rag joint to reach my box without any major cutting/welding. I began looking for something from Flaming River or like that to attach the two, didn't see anything.

photo of the distance I'm short - it's not close. Didn't measured but guessing 4-5 inches at least to get fully engaged on box splines and with column fully seating under the dash.

20210708_172621.jpg

Fixed. Did have to pull column back apart because shaft had collapsed while I was reassembling I'm guessing and once I knocked it back out and moved my lower bearing up about 4 inches, bingo, it's in. Getting pretty close to dropping the motor and trans in. My engine stand will thank me. It's been working hard for over a year holding that 440 up.

Back