SHE’S ALIVE!! The 68 RUNS

Isaiah Estrada

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Okay, so my title may be a “bit” misleading. We DID get the New Yorker running today, however we didn’t proceed with the break in procedure.

This is because for 1, our battery happens to be absolute junk. Starter was cranking real slow, then when it fired it’d start for a second then immediately quit. I didn’t crank on it too much before swapping batteries out.

Here is what happened after!!

That engine lit off IMMEDIATELY! However, to me it sounds like it’s running a bit rough. I have no knowledge on engine diagnostics while it’s running. We ran it for about 3 minutes at 2,000 but it was smoking like crazy. I’m not sure if my timing is too advanced?

I’m playing it safe and I’m just going to wait till our friend who is the engine wizard can come and walk us through. He’d be checking EVERYTHING. I know it’s not ideal for the camshaft but it’s a bone stock build, and when I did run it I ran it at high RPM. Well, I guess I’ll see if I messed anything up once we truly do the break in!

I’m amazed though, how quickly it lit off with a charged battery. Feeling so proud of this car!

Get some exhaust pipe on there for a few feet anyhow...

Timing sounds potentially advanced a tad (the jerky cranking is tell-tale), but put a light on it to be sure - leave the dizzy loose to adjust as you go.

Get some exhaust pipe on there for a few feet anyhow...

Timing sounds potentially advanced a tad (the jerky cranking is tell-tale), but put a light on it to be sure - leave the dizzy loose to adjust as you go.

Thanks! We are going to definitely add some exhaust pipe! We were getting smoked out pretty bad lol.

Will have the pipe going out of the garage next time… This thing was unbelievably loud. My dad has a lowrider “bomb.” Those types of cars (usually ‘34-‘35 Chevy) are known to be noisy because of the straight piped exhaust on their straight 6 motors. I thought the Fleetline he has is loud… Nope, this 440 taught me a whole level of loud I didn’t know existed!! Ears are ringing still

Congrats on this latest accomplishment Isaiah! I know hearing that engine fire up has been a long time coming for you. Super excited for your progress. Keep it up!

It will make funny noises and smoke until everything gels together and settles as it runs more.
Crank up the idle when it starts and keep it there and dont shut it off. Cam break in is crucial!
Have a laser temp gun handy and monitor temps at the thermostat housing.
Have the rad cap on but loose until she burps, check coolant level, then close her up. Air pockets can overheat the engine when running.
Hope this helps.

Have the rad cap on but loose until she burps, check coolant level, then close her up. Air pockets can overheat the engine when running.
I had my radiator cap off, I forgot to put it in after it ran for a few minutes, luckily it made it through the break in and started barfing right at the end. No damage done, and the engine ran fine after that.

Congratulations Isaiah, you're almost there!

Is it broken in yet?

willy-wonka-suspense.gif

Thank you everyone!! It means so much to have your support, each and every one of you. It's been an adventure, and I still have a long long road ahead of me. Getting the engine running has been a long term goal for me, happy to say I'm there now! Next up - make this car drive!

I have not fired it up since this video, as I'm waiting for some advice on timing and then I'll be good to go. I want to be sure the next time I fire it up, I can let it run for 25-30 minutes at 2,000.

Thank you everyone!! It means so much to have your support, each and every one of you. It's been an adventure, and I still have a long long road ahead of me. Getting the engine running has been a long term goal for me, happy to say I'm there now! Next up - make this car drive!

I have not fired it up since this video, as I'm waiting for some advice on timing and then I'll be good to go. I want to be sure the next time I fire it up, I can let it run for 25-30 minutes at 2,000.
For the break in leave the timing at 10 degrees before top dead center.
Guaranteed to fire right up and should not ping during break in.
the final adjustment of the timing can be done another day after actually driving the car with the engine under load.
Hoe this helps.

Back