Ship or pickup?

BOZOBOY

Reaction score
I’m picking up a 77 Fury from the upper peninsula of Michigan which is a horrible area to have a car shipped from. I’m looking at $2,000-$2,200 to ship to Mass. I just can’t decide whether to bite the bullet and have it shipped or take 4 days to pick it up and bring it
84BBBE10-23AB-488C-A83D-3C843E75EBB4.png
back. (1 night at a hotel each way). Have any of you rented a U-Haul trailer to accomplish this? And what did it cost? I do have a pickup truck to use.

My $.02. I've done pick-up many times, If you can take spouse and make a trip, sure. otherwise I'd get a carrier.

Not sure where in the U.P. you are picking up the car, but like Goldmyn said, get a partner and fly in and then drive it back. Its a 6 hour drive just from the Detroit area to the bridge and then to where ever you need to go. Good luck.

I wouldn’t trust it driving it back. Definitely not going that route. It’s located in Mackinaw County area. (Carp Lake) to be exact. I’m in Lake George on Vaca currently. Im tempted to leave from here.

A U haul is about 60 bucks per day if you return it at the same place. Or 120 one way.
Not sure why it would take four days . I did a Jersey to Missouri run. 44 hour round trip straight through.
Go get it ...

I just can’t decide whether to bite the bullet and have it shipped or take 4 days to pick it up and bring it ] back. (1 night at a hotel each way).

Not sure why it would take four days . ..

I'm guessing he must be really horrible at math judging by his reply, or maybe it's a common core math thing? He must like 4 ways?

I picked up a car in L.A. and was planning to fly and uhaul back. $4750.00 for the truck for 3 days, no trailer. Ended up finding someone who hauls regularly to my area for 1800.

I picked up a car in L.A. and was planning to fly and uhaul back. $4750.00 for the truck for 3 days, no trailer. Ended up finding someone who hauls regularly to my area for 1800.

That's odd. I rented a 26 ft U haul truck and two car trailers in February. I had them for an allowable 7 days, returned them 2600 miles away from point of rental and my fee was under 4 grand.
Throw onto that a hand truck and two dozen moving blankets.

Received the car 4 days ago, took 3 days in an enclosed trailer. No rentals or Uhaul types at reasonable cost, next time Ill have to plan out in back in my own vehicle.

And then theirs the story of a fellow here that bought a car in the PNW that hadn't been driven for a bunch of years, and drove it back to I think KY.? He was reluctant to do it at first, but support from here got him through it. His first stop was to the tire shop just because of old tires, and pretty much had a maintenance free trip till close to home. He stayed in the "Backseat Motel" as he called it, which saved him some coin! This was like in March I think he did this? But you do whatever! Good Luck

When I was younger I wouldn't hesitate to drive it. In fact I'd prefer it.
Now, not likely.

Stubs, that sounds like the GT story from Texas to California.

Stubs, that sounds like the GT story from Texas to California.

No, he had mentioned that he was leery of doing it in the dead of winter and getting stranded in a blizzard, he did it late winter/early spring. I've looked everywhere, I can't find it!

Last edited:
No, he had mentioned that he was leery of doing it in the dead of winter and getting stranded in a blizzard, he did it late winter/early spring.
I was merely pointing out the GT guy did it too but I think he stayed in a motel or two. He did however deal with heat.

We (me and the missus) make the trips, 4 so far dragging home cars. You never know when one will turn into an adventure, just ask me. Lol

If I do end up doing the trip, I will probably stay in a hotel 1 night each way. I’m going back and forth with carriers now. I’m looking at between 1,700 and 2,000.

Back