shipping a used fuel tank....

70Tom

Reaction score
Question: have any of you ever shipped a used fuel tank that, while drained, may still smell of gasoline? Any issues? Who did you use?

Thanks

I just sent out the tank on my '77 Cordoba to be redone. Dump some liquid dish detergent(like Dawn)in the tank and squirt it with a good stream of water. Slosh it around and drain it. May have to do more than once. Let it dry and then wrap it in plastic before putting it in the box. Should be good to go. I shipped mine through Fedex.

[QUOTE="moparnutcase, I shipped mine through Fedex.[/QUOTE]

Did you state that the package contained a fuel tank....? Most shippers will not accept one for shipping.

They did not ask but the name of the company was clearly on the box......Moyer Fuel Tank Renu!! No issues as it made it there the next day.

Hazmat rules I think would dictate the tank be purged in order to ship it without making a hazmat declaration. That's how it works with fuel trailers. Even an empty trailer has to have a hazmat last contained manifest unless it has been steamed/purged.

Big fines for knowingly shipping without declaring.

Kevin

as far as I am concerned it is no longer a gas tank once it is flushed out with water and no longer containing fuel. it now becomes a used water tank. ship it as that. problem solved. no hazards no problems.

Back