Shopping for upper radiator hose - newb question

Edison

Reaction score
I'm going to replace the upper radiator hose on my 1966 Newport soon as it feels a bit "soft" to my liking and I don't want an on the road burst.

However, I was shopping Rock Auto and there are options for with and without AC. I don't have AC so I would obviously get that one. But out of curiosity, what is the difference between the hose on an AC and non-AC C-body? Is the coolant neck on the block in a different position on an AC car?

Also, I noticed there were Gates brand hoses that say "does not include spring". What does that mean? I've replaced bunch of radiators and hoses on other cars before but hadn't seen any mention like that before.

And if you guys have a preferred brand that you trust on these, please let me know. I spent a long time learning trusted parts/brands on Hondas, and now have to learn them for C-bodies and Mopar in general.

The spring is internal to the lower hose and keeps the hose from contracting and closing off. There's debate if you need it, but usually you can salvage the old one.

The upper A/C hose is a little longer with a slightly different shape to get around the compressor and to reach the outlet on the larger radiator that an A/C equipped car has.

Unfortunately, most of the big box stores don't make the the distinction 'tween the two. They'll hand you a non a/c hose in most cases.

And it's going to get worse.
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/05/question-of-the-day-will-big-box-auto-retailers-survive/
I am going to be brutally blunt. In the next 10 years the online world will overtake the big box model.
Manufacturers will use other companies to become transportation service providers, and no one will miss those big boxes.
Nobody.

Most the time I shop for parts at my local O'Reilly's as I'm an old school person. I like to be able to examine the part in my hands before I walk out, and I normally need a part right then and there. I think I can count on my hand all the times I've ordered parts online that were not fun time upgrades.

I'm going online this time as I'm just replacing the hose as a preemptive strike. It looks questionable to me, so instead of waiting for it to degrade I'll just replace it. Plus even if the current part is fine, I'll obsess over it in my head when I drive LOL.

These were the two parts I had narrowed it down to. The spring vs. no spring was what kind of held me up:
GATES Part # 21660{Click Info Link for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} Molded Coolant Hose; 1 1/2" x 15 3/32" Does Not Contain Spring
Heart.png

Upper; W/O A.C.; W/Std. Cool.; Cut to fit

GOODYEAR Part # 60910 Radiator Coolant Hose; I.D. 1.500"; Length 16"
Heart.png

Upper; Molded Hose; Without AC; Cut to Fit

In fact I may just do the upper and lower hoses along with the radiator itself sooner than later. I'd like to do full tune up on the car: Plugs, wire, dizzy cap+rotor, thermostat, upper and lower hoses, fuel filter, transmission and coolant change (already did oil). I just don't have money to do it ALL at once so I'm trying to prioritize everything. Once the bolt on stuff is out of the way, I'd have timing chain and accessory belts done after that (those however are in good shape still).

To me it never made sense to do one item in the cooling system and hold off on other items until later.
You're losing the coolant anyway so why not just do the whole shebang at once.
I do upper and lower radiator hoses, heater hoses, and T-stat all at the same time with a thorough system flush while I'm at it.

To me it never made sense to do one item in the cooling system and hold off on other items until later.
You're losing the coolant anyway so why not just do the whole shebang at once.
I do upper and lower radiator hoses, heater hoses, and T-stat all at the same time with a thorough system flush while I'm at it.

Thanks. I agree. I was going to "buy" the bits and pieces here and there and put em all on at once after thinking about it. I won't be driving the car like a daily so I have "time" you could say. I think I got the new car joy out of my system with all the driving I did of her this past week. :)

on AC cars the thermostat housing outlet is angled about 45°. on non-AC cars it's completely vertical. The inlet on the radiator is typically in a different location due to this and makes the shape and length of the AC hose different. I take my old hoses up to Oreilly's and match them up because their books only give #'s for flex hoses.

on AC cars the thermostat housing outlet is angled about 45°. on non-AC cars it's completely vertical. The inlet on the radiator is typically in a different location due to this and makes the shape and length of the AC hose different. I take my old hoses up to Oreilly's and match them up because their books only give #'s for flex hoses.

Good idea. With 50 or more years for folks to have swapped things before the cars end up in our hands, its always possible that a AC engine ended up in a non-AC car or vice versa, coolants necks and radiators getting swapped etc without even realizing it.

Not that I have ever seen, they way I have seen it is 67 and newer were straight and the older ones were 45^

I have had a 69, a 73 and a 76 big and small block (w/AC) that were all straight. and 3 different 67's without ac, all straight.
The only 45^ one i have seen were on earlier cars.

The only difference is the extra dog-leg in the hose to clear the compressor.

Alan

Only straight up for me, too.
I have heard where people have used 45 degree SBC housings on Mopars. True? I don't know.

The upper inlet on the top reservior A/C early's iz 'bout 8"s closer to the passenger side then the inlet iz on the Non A/C carz(the Hoze on the A/C car does ah double zigzag to dodge the alternator

Not that I have ever seen, they way I have seen it is 67 and newer were straight and the older ones were 45^

I have had a 69, a 73 and a 76 big and small block (w/AC) that were all straight. and 3 different 67's without ac, all straight.
The only 45^ one i have seen were on earlier cars.

The only difference is the extra dog-leg in the hose to clear the compressor.

Alan
Alan, thanks for the clarification. I must have mixed up memories with past Forwardlook cars. You're right, I just checked both my '67 and '68 motors with AC have straight housings.

Back