Silicone?

carguy300

Reaction score
When I pulled the water pump housing off the block the other day, there was quite a bit of silicone around the ports. When going back with the new, do I need silicone, if so what type or just gaskets. I did run a thin bead on the pump in the past but never had the housing off before.

There should be one gasket for each side the pump, between the pump body and the cyl block. If you want cleaner clean-up next time you pull the body off the block, put a thin skim-coat of bleck high-heat sealer on the sides and all edges. It'll seal better and come off clean, from my experiences.

CBODY67

I ordered both gaskets for housing, it came right of block so easy im not sure it had gaskets on it. Used rtv black in the past, always worked good.

I don’t use sealer on those if not pitted. They have a wide sealing surface. Unlike a thermostat housing which is a narrow sealing surface and often pitted.

I will ck better, havent got pump housing yet. I know the old one had silicone oozing out all around both water ports? Dont think that was factory!

what i use with these type of gaskets:
1695900067884.png

Factory does not use additional sealer on paper gaskets, typically. "Silicone" never was used there as a gasket replacement or additive. Only place that happened was in the middle 1970s on rear axle covers, from what I understand.

CBODY67

I don't use silicone on anything except for a little on the corners of the intake gaskets.

I just fished some out bits of silicone out of a radiator.... Some were clogging the tubes.

Back