Small block 727 transmission cooler lines

Furyus67

Reaction score
Does anyone have a picture of how their transmission cooler lines are run on a small block with a 727. Preferably a 1967 Plymouth fury III

When I removed my transmission cooler lines they were routed as follows:
The line connected to the driver side fitting on the radiator routed to the front most transmission fitting.
The line connected to the passenger side fitting on the radiator routed to the rear most transmission fitting.

The new lines I bought are pre-bent, but were pre-bent to route to the opposite fitting on the transmission. So my question is, does it matter which line on the radiator runs to each line on the transmission. Can the driver side fitting run to the rear most fitting on the transmission and the passenger line run to the front most fitting on the transmission?

Here are mine. Not quite a full factory routing but very close

20140616_131703.jpg

20140616_131714.jpg

20140616_131728.jpg

20140616_131737.jpg

20140616_131748.jpg

20140616_132011.jpg

When I removed my transmission cooler lines they were routed as follows:
The line connected to the driver side fitting on the radiator routed to the front most transmission fitting.
The line connected to the passenger side fitting on the radiator routed to the rear most transmission fitting.

The new lines I bought are pre-bent, but were pre-bent to route to the opposite fitting on the transmission. So my question is, does it matter which line on the radiator runs to each line on the transmission. Can the driver side fitting run to the rear most fitting on the transmission and the passenger line run to the front most fitting on the transmission?

Good question.
I don't think it matters to be honest...

Does anyone know the size of the radiator fittings for the transmission cooler lines and the size of the fittings on the transmission itself?

Does anyone know the size of the radiator fittings for the transmission cooler lines and the size of the fittings on the transmission itself?

Well, the lines are 5/16".
Don't know the fitting sizes though

Whenever you are trying to cool a hot oil or fluid in a heat exchanger, where the other side is water-

The rule of thumb is that you want the hot oil flow to run in the direction counter to the direction of the water flow along side of it. If hot oil flows "left to right", the water flow along side should be "right to left" for maximum heat transfer.

I have no idea what is happening in the bottom tank of a radiator, but hopefully its not a "dead space", and water is flowing in some certain direction with respect to the trans cooler.

Back