Smokes from air cleaner pan ?

Giovanni1776

Reaction score
I don’t know where to post it ..

I drove my car for maybe 22 minutes.. shut it off… and I heard a « funny » noise like a coffee machine

And then I saw smokes coming off the air cleaner pan …

Car restarted very well.. and this weird experience doesn’t came back for now …

Any of you experienced something similar ?

Need to mention that I’m struggling starting the car when it’s cold …pumping gas pedal like crazy…

IMG_6291.jpeg

Pull the lid off and see where it is coming from next time. I bet the smell of fuel is pretty strong. Could be carb related. If not maybe oil burn-off from exhaust manifold.

Has the car not been driven in a while? Maybe condensation? What if you drive 40-50 miles?

Sounds like fuel is boiling and the mist you see is fuel vaporized from the hot manifold. How is your engine temp? Your engine timing? If timing is retarded to much, (even factory specs is too much retard) It will cause the curb idle to be increased, this opens the carb primary flaps too much and can let fuel to be drawn into engine on shut down. This will sometimes cause run on or a cough and spit when shut down. But the retarded timing can cause engine to run hot, creating the fuel boiling when you shut down engine, then your carb is empty when you return to restart. All my carbureted cars will need to take time pumping up fuel after sitting a week or more. Thermoquad carbs have two glued on wells at the bottom of float well that can leak, plenty do. A bad leak will cause the vapour mist, or hard to tune rich idle.

The high rvp ethanol based fuels that we get in the winter can lead to vapor lock issues with carbureted vehicles. It's boiling the fuel out of the carburetor when you shut it off- the carb is empty when you try starting it again later and it won't run until the mechanical fuel pump fills the float bowls again.

I'd guess the engine dieseled and turned backward when it turned off and puffed smoke back out of the intake.
Probably got some old/low octane gas.

Back