So I am driving along...

tbm3fan

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
down Highway 99 in the Central Valley. It is a freeway I don't like and always try to avoid just like the low income US 880. Heading to Turlock and have to drive 99 for 13 miles from Modesto to a nursing home. About 8 miles from Turlock there is a big crash into the side of the car just behind me. Didn't see anything but the crash, smash sound was loud. Thought, great something jumped up from the freeway and hit the side. Now I have body work and painting to do.

Maybe 2 minutes later I turn my head and see the driver's side rear window and it is smashed. The only thing that holds it together is the dark film over the inside. Now I'm pissed as that means a difficult to source window for a hatchback while I wonder if the sedan is the same part number. The impact point was 4 inches behind my shoulder near the very front of that window. Fortunately, when heading home later on a fellow in the parking lot saw the window and stopped. He had good old duct tape in his truck to use in order to keep the window in for the 92 mile drive home.

In my parts book I saw that the sedan and hatchback use the same window so I check Pick & Pull inventory and find only one 1988-92 Mazda 626 in the Bay Area. Luckily the closest one at 16 miles away. When I get there I see the car is a hatchback! OMG, one never ever sees a hatchback and it has unique plastic trim I could also use. Hooray! The window wasn't so easy to get out which told me it wasn't going to be so easy to put in. Total time start to finish was 6 hours.

Mazda_window_01.jpg

Mazda_window_03.jpg

Mazda_window_05.jpg

Mazda_window_06.jpg

Mazda_window_07.jpg

Mazda_garnish.jpg

Good to hear you were able to get repairs done at a reasonable cost (never mind the aggravation). Still scratching my head about what hit your car?

A pickup was passing next to me at the time. Just imagine it it were 5 inches forward into my window which has no film on it. Glass flying into the side of my head and everywhere else.

I can't tell if the window in the one picture is standing on the plastic clips or if the glass is touching the concrete, but you don't want to have tempered glass standing on it's edge on a hard surface like concrete or black top because it might stand there for 5 minutes, or 5 years, but there is a good chance that the glass will break(or more like explode like tempered glass tends to do). Just for future information.

Well six hours to drive to the yard, manhandled it out of the donor, and then more importantly get it gently into place when one of the guides presented an issue that the Mazda manual never clearly addressed.

Back