Solid State?

carguy300

Reaction score
Hey gents, im still working on getting dash back together on my 68 300, im having trouble finding the voltage limit for fuel gauge. Has anyone tried these solid state ones?, do they do the job?, dependable and which one should i use? Part #. Any info, Thanks.

Whenever I restore one of my cars or otherwise have the dash cluster out to repair something, I always put in a new solid state voltage limiter and eliminate the noise suppressor on the printed circuit board if one is present there. No more reliability issues going forward with the solid state limiter. Here is the one I normally buy from Herb's Parts which is related to AMS Obsolete Parts:

Herb's Parts: PUSH IN STYLE VOLTAGE LIMITER, Circuit Boards & Gauges, CSVR1

Price is reasonable.

As an aside, Herb's also has exact reproduction interior spray paint color matches for our cars - no need to even search SEM or other vinyl spray paints for a close color match.

And AMS Obsolete also has the rarest parts of any supplier of nos parts but be prepared to pay a price for that capability when they have what you need. But when there is no one else, they will know that.

Thanks for part number, i will leave off the noise suppressor as well, cant find them either anyway. I have searched Obsolete parts as well as Mopar mall for parts for my last 300 to. Seems like ALL prices are getting worse and worse! Thanks again!

I have been using a solid state limiter this year. It works very well, however the old electro-mechanical unit provided an initial pulse of 12 volts to the gauges which allowed the gauges to rise faster. The electronic unit is slower to respond, but will not fry the gauges if it fails. I bought mine from National Moparts almost a year ago, and the price is now up by over 50%. Yes, I'm pleased with it and would reccomend it. Lindsay

Thanks for part number, i will leave off the noise suppressor as well, cant find them either anyway. I have searched Obsolete parts as well as Mopar mall for parts for my last 300 to. Seems like ALL prices are getting worse and worse! Thanks again!
Since there are no points opening and closing to maintain correct voltage as with the factory limiter, the solid state devices don't need one and on one of my 71 Imperials a failed noise suppressor was the cause of none of my gauges working, so best to leave it out if using the solid state limiter.

I too swapped over to a solid state limiter when I had my dash out a couple of seasons ago. (Also a ‘68 300). First time my fuel gauge had ever worked! It’s worth the money for the peace of mind.

Didn't Chrysler go to the solid state unit in production in the middle 1980s or so?

Didn't Chrysler go to the solid state unit in production in the middle 1980s or so?
Im not familiar that much with dash components, but Im learning as i go. Thanks to the help im getting here! Thanks y'all.

Back