Some interesting sightings in Wyoming

I filled my NY up at a new Sinclair station in Morro Bay, CA last month.... The green dino was still sitting on its crate waiting to be mounted.

They have quite an extensive online store....

dinofossil.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 300862 View attachment 300863 When I arrived in Cody, this was my greetings! Across the street from the Holiday Inn on Sheridan Ave, a cruise night. Some new Mopars, and this beautiful Dodge Custom Royal and this MINT 1981 Dodge Ram 150. Although they get tons of snow there the guys there told me the cars don't rust because they don't use salt.
We absolutely love Cody They have the best gun Museum and old town Cody is awesome to meander through

They still have their own blends, but yeah, all carriers fill at the same refineries, just add X and Y and maybe Z for this guy, X, Z and Q for that one, etc, etc... I'm still a loyal customer for my gas, but I jumped to a different brand for my 91 octane, 30¢/gallon will make me switch.

Since the earlier '70s, the "it all comes from the same terminal" comments were usually interpreted by me to mean that those following that orientation didn't completely know what they were talking about. That ALL fuel was the same, as sit came from the same terminal, in some areas. Rather than being delivered to the specific local terminal by trucks with the oil company name on them, which came from their specific tank farm in the region.

We started buying gas from Gulf stations, from back in the '50s. Then branched out into Exxon when a new neighbor moved in to take over one Exxon station (his brother was the Exxon distributor in the county). A school friend's dad then took over an Exxon station on the main drag, so I bought gas there, too, in the earlier '70s. Never had any issues.

Farther down the street was a private brand station, supplied by a larger private oil company. Had "no name" gas AND a "blinking light sign". The Exxon guy called it "blink gas", due to that sign. He noted than when their prices were not that different, he had some customers (commuters into the metro area) who regularly bought gas from him and got their cars serviced by him, a retired aircraft mechanic. But when the "blink gas" got cheaper, he wouldn't see them for a while. Then they'd come in "My car's not running right. Need a tune-up?" So he'd do a tune-up on them. He'd note that he KNEW where they'd been buying gas, due to the deposits on the spark plugs and the hydrocarbon smell from the exhaust (pre-catalytic converter days). So he'd put new plugs in the engine, tweak the carb and timing, and it would be good, with no smells. They'd start buying gas from him again, but desert when the price differential increased. After about the third cycle of this, he'd gently mention that he knew what was going on AND advise them that buying his slightly more expensive gas was cheaper in the long run. When that happened, knowing they'd been busted, they'd get embarrassed and leave. He'd laugh.

He went through the Exxon training in nearby Irving, TX. Then he got the station. Apparently they talked about the "splash blend" of the private brands and how inconsistent it could be, by nature. Compared to the "refined blends" of Exxon gas (at that time). He noted that when the private brand gas left the terminal, the additives were put into the tanker then, rather than being formally blended it. What would be termed "splash blending" in more recent times.

What is nor blended and transported is the generic unleaded gasoline. Specific fuel additives AND ethanol are added at the time the fuel goes into the tanker. Then is sloshes around on the way to the stations, for a more complete "mix". So as with other things in our modern lives, that "hand-off" of responsibility to the terminal operators, as the major companies have now contracted with carriers to transport their fuel in non-logo'd trucks. So one now just sees a tanker truck at the station. Unless it's one of the major private brands which has many of their own stations (fueling venues with convenience store/"pit stop" facilities).

Now, we have to rely upon the "Top Tier Fuels" decal on the pumps to ensure we are getting the best stuff, regardless of who sells it. PLUS the applicable ethanol content labels, when required by law (or done voluntarily by the seller).

Remember the days prior to the earlier '70s, when service stations generally had complimentary road maps, some with where their company-owned stations were along the Interstate highways? Plus their brand-specific credit cards and auto maintenance items? Those were generally some better times, it seems.

Just some thoughts and observations,
CBODY67

Back