Some more classic pictures

AF9AB4D1-F8BA-4CA4-B46E-E3B646F3E9BD.jpeg

What do you folks think - especially the native/transplanted Detroiters .. A flooded westbound I-94 at Cass, looking east, at the old Cass Motors building 60 years ago? Same building as in the Vintage dealership thread post below

1652640943090.png
1652640889119.png

What do you folks think - especially the native/transplanted Detroiters .. A flooded westbound I-94 at Cass, looking east, at the old Cass Motors building 60 years ago? Same building as in the Vintage dealership thread post below

View attachment 531643View attachment 531642
Try driving in flooded conditions like that with todays modern electronic equipped cars, bet'cha you'll be dead in the water within 10 car length's.

I highly doubt this was filmed on Interstate 5, at that time there wasn't an alternate for I-5 in an area that looks even close to this. Even still nowhere in this area is there any terrain that comes close. At that time there was a newly constructed freeway (California-14) that probably wasn't opened yet, even if it was there is an easy alternate.
I suspect this is the spot in the picture from the film.
View attachment 530789

Alan
I can remember being in California in 1977 and seeing this completed new 'Ghost' freeway that appeared to lead to nowhere from some of the mountain roads I'd ride on my motorcycle. There was also the construction barrier blocked off big azz off ramp that I'd pass by on occasion riding I-5 northbound. Think it was constructed for the new desert sprawl that hadn't quite been built yet.

If you watch the CHiP's TV series you can see it as it was in the 1977/78 days, they filmed a lot of their freeway scenes there.

I can remember being in California in 1977 and seeing this completed new 'Ghost' freeway that appeared to lead to nowhere from some of the mountain roads I'd ride on my motorcycle. There was also the construction barrier blocked off big azz off ramp that I'd pass by on occasion riding I-5 northbound. Think it was constructed for the new desert sprawl that hadn't quite been built yet.

If you watch the CHiP's TV series you can see it as it was in the 1977/78 days, they filmed a lot of their freeway scenes there.

CHiPs was largely filmed on CA-210 between Symar and Pasadena as it was a new freeway in the mid to late 70s when CHiPs was being filmed.

CA-14 still has a interchange to nowhere that was planed for a new freeway that was never built (and will not be), the interchange is now just ramps.
I-5 has an interchange in the Gorman area that is way beyond what was needed, an offramp would have done fine but that was plans of a freeway (end of I-40) that hasn't happened.

CA-14 was built and opened in the early 70s (73/74?) most likely the one used in the film.
CA-210 was built and opened in the mid to late 70s (77/78?) most likely he one you saw.

Alan

Back