Some more classic pictures

1664075311841.png

1664075340781.png

1664075400899.png

1664075429506.png

1664075459853.png

1664075509691.png

1664075697951.png

The picture of the Hell Drivers rig brings back a lot of memories. It's hard to read, but I believe it says Paul Riddell's Imperial Hell Drivers on the truck door. 1969-73, I was in Parts at a small-town Ontario Chrysler dealership which sponsored Paul's crew at the local Fall Fair, and I was appointed to be their liaison while they were in town. Every year, everyone from the dealership got a ride during their act. In 1970 or '71, there was a problem with one of the junkers I had lined up for them to wreck, and my girl-friend and I missed our rides while I was dealing with it. No problem! They told us to be at the next venue the following night, and gave me a card identifying me as "Natch Miller", one of their stunt drivers, which would get us into the race track infield. We did as we were told, got our rides, then later, one of the crew came to us and asked if the green 300 'over there' was ours, and were the keys in it, and did the parking brake work. Affirmative on all three! Next thing, Mrs. Riddell gave her nightly spiel about the cars not being specially modified, and how you could buy the exact same cars at the local dealer. About then, I saw my 300 moving through the infield, and out onto the back straight, and then she announced that they had a special guest that night, a friend of theirs, and they would use his car to prove the point, by only putting more air in the tires. I think it was Paul himself driving, and he wound the 300 up to 60mph, and proceeded to perform bootlegger turns, reverse spins, and other stunts. My girl-friend was wailing; "they're going to wreck the car! How will we get home?" Then came the kicker! He circled the track at 60, while one of the crew ran out with a small ramp, and I'm thinking "oh, no, not really", but yup, he caught air under two wheels, circled again and lifted the other two. I thought he was done, but they brought out an extension to the ramp, and he finished the show with two more circuits and everyone got a good but very quick view of my cars' chassis and roof. That ended the show, and we got home safely, with no ill effects or damage to my pride and joy, and I drove it another 100,000 virtually trouble-free miles.

Back