Speedometer Update

Top Cat

Reaction score
So I've made a few updates to my '60 Dart speedometer restoration that have improved things [refer to my earlier post], including making a separate odometer lens and shade behind the odometer opening. It still looks good in the garage, at night, and when the sun is behind you when driving, but I still get glare on the speedometer lens under certain daylight conditions.

To try to eliminate the glare, I cut a piece of special non-reflective plexiglass to fit over the original speedometer lens. It created other visual problems, so I'm giving up on that idea.

What I'd really like to do is start over with a new speedometer face, and make it see-through again with a correctly applied frosty-white background finish. So if anyone has a 1960 Dodge speedometer to sell me (even just the numbers part), I'd be happy to buy it from you and make the car original and correct. Even if the finish on it is not good, I can send it to a gauge restorer or work with it myself, and then swap it in. My actual speedometer works just fine.

Also, I'm having the car body professionally re-painted in September. New color! Stay tuned . . .

20220818_165353.jpg20220818_164952-1.jpg

So I've made a few updates to my '60 Dart speedometer restoration that have improved things [refer to my earlier post], including making a separate odometer lens and shade behind the odometer opening. It still looks good in the garage, at night, and when the sun is behind you when driving, but I still get glare on the speedometer lens under certain daylight conditions.

To try to eliminate the glare, I cut a piece of special non-reflective plexiglass to fit over the original speedometer lens. It created other visual problems, so I'm giving up on that idea.

What I'd really like to do is start over with a new speedometer face, and make it see-through again with a correctly applied frosty-white background finish. So if anyone has a 1960 Dodge speedometer to sell me (even just the numbers part), I'd be happy to buy it from you and make the car original and correct. Even if the finish on it is not good, I can send it to a gauge restorer or work with it myself, and then swap it in. My actual speedometer works just fine.

Also, I'm having the car body professionally re-painted in September. New color! Stay tuned . . .

View attachment 553011View attachment 553012
If you don't mind sharing, how much is the paint job going to cost?

Hey - just sent you a PM - there's a guy on Facebook in the Dodge Polara/Monaco Owners group who's parting a '60 Dodge. Has the speedo you want I think. All the info is in the PM.

Good luck!

Back