Starter issue

Reaction score
Hi everybody I might have brought this up before but im having issues with my starter. Starter is a brand new powermaster mini torque starter installed it connected all the wires to where it should be got it a little over 2 weeks ago started up numerous times no problem then on Sunday it started up i let it run and it cut out as i took off and wouldn’t start back up. I’ve updated the entire wiring with the painless wiring harness it’s making a whirling sounds which means the t-bar thing isn’t engaging i even ran a ground from the mounting bolt directly to the battery checked battery and it’s good would a bad distributor cause this kind of problem

The starter not engaging has nothing to do with a bad distributor. There have been numerous clearance/fitment issues with the mini starter on older 727 applications. See: www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/elec/1.html for how to get a proper fit. You may need to change the electrical fittings and also have to grind a small amout of metal off the starter barrel to get a proper flush mount. The car quitting after it started is probably going to have nothing to do with the starter. Check to see if you are getting spark by pulling the coil wire and cranking the engine, if you have spark, check the fuel filter to be sure it is not clogged and hook a fuel line to a safe storage container to see if you are getting a good fuel flow.

Check these things and report back.

Dave

Last edited:
If the starter is spinning over but not engaging I would check the battery voltage. If it is low it will power the starter but not have enough 'kick' to engage the bendix properly. Might also explain the dying issue, not enough power left to run the engine, etc. If not a bad battery perhaps a faulty generator/alternator.

Just my random thoughts

A properly charged battery should show about 13.2 volts using a voltmeter. Less than that you should recharge the battery before doing anything else.

Dave

Last edited:
If the starter is spinning over but not engaging I would check the battery voltage. If it is low it will power the starter but not have enough 'kick' to engage the bendix properly. Might also explain the dying issue, not enough power left to run the engine, etc. If not a bad battery perhaps a faulty generator/alternator.

Just my random thoughts
Just changed out my alternator to a power master 165amp Battery also hasn’t been hooked up in a while I’ve had the negative contact off

13.2v or there about with the battery at rest and everything off.

Dave
Okay im going to charge the battery fully over night and give it a try i had to swap my alternator out because it just took a dump when i was driving with the old alternator it would never go above 13 volts when driving

The starter not engaging has nothing to do with a bad distributor. There have been numerous clearance/fitment issues with the mini starter on older 727 applications. See: www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/elec/1.html for how to get a proper fit. You may need to change the electrical fittings and also have to grind a small amout of metal off the starter barrel to get a proper flush mount. The car quitting after it started is probably going to have nothing to do with the starter. Check to see if you are getting spark by pulling the coil wire and cranking the engine, if you have spark, check the fuel filter to be sure it is not clogged and hook a fuel line to a safe storage container to see if you are getting a good fuel flow.

Check these things and report back.

Dave
So turned out the starter teeth didn’t matchbthe torque converter teeth. Took it to the alternator/starter shop out here he spotted it immediately and put a old one on there and it fired right up got the same one but newer problem solved

Back