Steering boxes - Learning from scratch.

Seals have been around since the eighties? Not in use and hot but definitely not new.
Maybe take an hour for me to replace the seals if ever needed. Where else do you find new guts that aren't worn into a sloppy mess that even rebuilt boxes don't really fix much?

If that in fact is a NEW box and not a vintage "new reman" from Firmfeel, I'd say it's a pretty good deal.

A Borgeson will come in north of that and while the handling reviews are glowing, the installation reviews are anything but.

My understanding is there are no replacement hard parts for the Mopar box and that all the rebuilders do is go thru the cores and mix and match parts to get stuff to fit and some machining. A common complaint is the center feel is dead/vague on almost all of them.

Kevin

I am going to have to get one of these apart and see for myself. Seems to me they have that magic box syndrome around them "ooooo don't touch unless you have been chosen by God himself" geez it's just a mechanical object, not like you opening up a skull and rooting around in there. I have not needed one till now.

The gear lube got me almost 3000mi further down the road, and $200 knocked off the price of the replacement engine.
Yep... just long enough to get past the first 30 days.
Yes? No? Maybe? Should bolt right in and it's the same price as a rebuilt.

Nos Firm Feel Mopar Steering Box # 3643334 $400.00
NOS MOPAR FIRM FEEL COP CAR POLICE STEERING BOX # 3643334

PART IS NEW IN MOPAR BOX
PART WAS PURCHASED NEW IN 1991 AND NEVER USED

View attachment 139521 View attachment 139522 View attachment 139523 View attachment 139524 View attachment 139525
I'd say go for it... you've been looking long enough.

For what it's worth my 79 300 has the factory "Firm feel" in it. It drives good, but I had to change all the other pieces too. I was expecting a super tight feel, almost leaning towards a rack and pinion type feel like all the hype tends to lead you to believe. If that's what you're hoping for you may be disappointed. It steers nice, centers well, but it's no RnP. You could probably get the same feel by using the fsm and learning how to adjust your box, barring of course, any major damage inside. And of course new tie rod ends etc. Just mho.
I also just installed a reman box from Napa in my 73 Imperial. Drives perfect and feels just like the 300. I debated back and forth on the various manufacturers of the firm feels and just decided to go with stock. Probably because of my experience with the 300. I just couldn't justify the extra money and then be disappointed. Those boxes are twice what mine cost.

Last edited:
Yep... just long enough to get past the first 30 days
Guy with my replacement engine told me I would be back but mine was still running with a knock and gear lube, I told him he was right I would be back when it blows up completely. He came back with just give me the $1000 and take it now, done.

Back