Steering Gear Removal.

M1911

Reaction score
Continuing my front end tear down. I am stuck on the steering gear. Any tips for removal? 68 Fury.
Thanks in advance.

16155673775157817897032656372554.jpg

You will need a pitman arm puller.
Impact gun, and assorted wrenches
Disconnect the hoses, then pull the pitman arm.
Punch the drift pin off the steering knuckle and pry it loose. Lastly, 4 bolts later and it’s on your chest if you are underneath it when it drops out...
The FSM is helpful as well

Follow the service manual. You need to get the steering column out of there first. Can’t tell if you removed the roll pin yet. If not, do it. Be careful you don’t break the crush spacers or use a hammer to remove the column. Bolts under dash and floor pan.

When pulling the steering column take care to remove the gear position wand first! Otherwise you will destroy it when you pull the column back.

Dave

Good advice above, at least the engine is out. My knuckles are bleeding just thinking about it. Good Luck!

The roller pin is out of the knuckle, is it suppose to slide at that point? . I have the bolts out of the steering gear and tried to pry and got very little movement

16155914619785592242653977509478.jpg

Do you have your shift linkage ( in engine compartment)disconnected? It t was still connected in your previous picture. 3 nuts under the dash that hold the white crush washers? The 3 bolts in the firewall at the base of the steering column above your brake pedal? If the steering wheel is resting on your seat and you can easily move it up and down then you should be able to take it off.

You should be able to get a block and pry bar between the steering gear and coupler and start working it off. Not recommend to use a hammer as it could sheer the plastic pins in the collapsible steering column if in a accident.

I got it out!!! Instead on prying at the knuckle I pushed up from the steering gear and it "collapsed" enough to get it off the studs. and bobs your uncle.

16155930146821270611579426993850.jpg

Back