Steering gear seal

jmustian

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the top steering gear seal can be change in the car. Mine is leaking bad but wanted to check with more knowledgeable folks before having to pull the gear out. '69 chrysler 300 with 440

1970 FSM page 19-12 says the worm shaft seal can be replaced with the steering gear in the car after you remove the steering column coupler from the shaft. The factory tool installed inside the seal and the expanded against it. It looks like there was center bolt that tightened against the top of the worm shaft to extract the seal. Without a tool like that, you might be able to pry out the seal with a small screw driver or ice pick. The new seal can probably be installed with a hammer and a large socket.

I guess i called it wrong name. I got the factory service manual and it says i must remove the pump to change the worm gear seal.

I guess i called it wrong name. I got the factory service manual and it says i must remove the pump to change the worm gear seal.
With my car, it does not look like it's necessary to remove the pump to replace that seal on the steering gear. 1970 FSM 19-12 does not mention removing the power steering pump to replace the seal. That seems strange. Are you looking at chapter 19 in the steering gear section?

Yes but mine is a '69 300. Seems like it was diff than most. 70 must have neen some improvements. It says i dont have to remove it for the steering arm seal but i do for the worm gear steering connector.
Im gonna try it on car first.

Well had to remove the steering gear. No means of extracting the worm shat seal otherwise. Had to unscrew the entire top plate to get to the seal and no mention in the fsm of the needle bearings just under the seal. Fortunately it was on a clean towel and i didnt lose any of them.

Well had to remove the steering gear. No means of extracting the worm shat seal otherwise. Had to unscrew the entire top plate to get to the seal and no mention in the fsm of the needle bearings just under the seal. Fortunately it was on a clean towel and i didnt lose any of them.
That's a PITA. FSM must be out of date. Did you replace the seal OK? Pics?

Does your Fury have the 440? Wouldn't have been as bad if last owner hadn't put custom welded exhaust

Does your Fury have the 440? Wouldn't have been as bad if last owner hadn't put custom welded exhaust
Yes. Factory HP manifolds. TTI 2.5" exhaust.
Also, removing the power steering gear's lone mounting stud by double nut gave much more room front to back
My 1971
PXL_20230217_170759884.jpg

Back