Stunning 1961 Dodge Dart Pioneer Flexes Rare Long Ram Induction Setup

marty mopar

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Tempe AZ (hotter than a turd on a frypan)
Stunning 1961 Dodge Dart Pioneer Flexes Rare Long Ram Induction Setup

stunning-1961-dodge-dart-pioneer-flexes-rare-long-ram-induction-setup_9.jpg

WOW - A Dart Pioneer with long-ram, was it a D-500? talk a sleeper, not to mention a unicorn........

I just bought it to haul lumber. I can put a 12 foot 2 X 4 through the windows and then haul
bricks in the trunk and back seat. Ditched that 2 carb setup and put a 1 BBL 6 Cylinder
carb to get better mileage. Also put green shag carpet on the dash with staples and 17 inch
wheels on it so it will be higher up rather than bend the leaf springs using a torch.

Just checked: top speed is now 60 MPH and 23 MPG

Anyone need the side windows? I yanked them out so I could get more air inside when it is
hot here. I pulled the A/C out as it weighed too much.

Other than that it is all stock.

Nice dude!

I've got a 66 Shelby that was used to haul bricks back in the day.
That kinda wore out the springs a bit early though...

Lads --
FYI, here's the 1960 Plymouth version in my '60 Fury survivor. It doesn't have the fender well cutouts mentioned in the video because it is a very early production car that may well have been a "mule," but both the factory build record and Darrell Davis' book certify it came off the St. Louis line as a SonoRamic Commando car. The vid is a little off on the official horsepower ratings though as the ram 383s in both '60 and '61 were 330.
Joe Godec
'57 Chrysler 300C, '60 Fury SonoRamic, '65 Fuelie Vette, '65 Sport Fury 426S/4-speed
Fury Engine.jpg

Lads --
FYI, here's the 1960 Plymouth version in my '60 Fury survivor. It doesn't have the fender well cutouts mentioned in the video because it is a very early production car that may well have been a "mule," but both the factory build record and Darrell Davis' book certify it came off the St. Louis line as a SonoRamic Commando car. The vid is a little off on the official horsepower ratings though as the ram 383s in both '60 and '61 were 330.
Joe Godec
'57 Chrysler 300C, '60 Fury SonoRamic, '65 Fuelie Vette, '65 Sport Fury 426S/4-speedView attachment 631008
That’s quite a sweet little collection you have! I don’t know if you get out with any of those to certain events in the springs area, but I live close and would love to run into you had some point and have a look. :)

Steve weim55 Colorado

Steve --
I try to hit some of the events here in Colorado Springs, mostly the Saturday morning cruise-ins and any MOPAR thing. I don't go down to Pueblo (and other southern Colorado cruises) that much although I like Pueblo's River Walk show and the shows in Florence and Canon City. I used to be a regular at Bandimere's MOPARs at Thunder Mountain, but not for a few years. I have a son in Parker so I hit the Chrome and Caffeine soiree up at Gateway Classics in Denver fairly often. I keep the Fuelie and one of the MOPARs always in my garage but the other two are usually at another son's shop garage. If you're down this way (I live near Colorado Springs' Palmer Park), I'm pretty much always around to pull the two at home out of my garage if it ain't too cold.
Joe

Auto Evolution is a AI generated website that steals content from all over the internet. That is my YouTube video they are using for the article, would appreciate it if people use this link instead of the one above so that website doesn't get the hits from it but my YouTube page does.

Is this interesting, or is this confusing? My 1961 Dart Pioneer doesn't have a B pillar. The 1961 in the thread here looks to have one. They both look to be 2 door models. I guess I am interested AND confused.

2023 Dad Fest.Pioneer.jpg

The one in the video is the 2 door sedan, yours is the 2 door hardtop, they have different rooflines as well.

Is this interesting, or is this confusing? My 1961 Dart Pioneer doesn't have a B pillar. The 1961 in the thread here looks to have one. They both look to be 2 door models. I guess I am interested AND confused.
Lads --
In the 1961 model year, the Dart Pioneer was available in five body styles: 4-dr sedan-6P, 2-dr sedan-6P (unofficially called a 2-dr post), 2-dr HT coupe-6P (2-dr hardtop), 4-dr station wagon-6P, and 4-dr station wagon-9P. The ram car above would ordinarily be called a "2-dr post."
The "hardtop" moniker came about in the late '40s and early '50s when cars without the door pillars were first introduced; they were then known as "hard top convertibles." The "convertible" part was dropped early on, but then the factories started calling them "hardtop coupes," or "sport coupes."
Joe

Back