Tail Panel and Assorted Trim

MarPar

Meat Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Gents,

I am getting everything ready to paint my tail panel (the metal in-between the tail lights-not really a tail panel, but I digress) and am taking off all the trim I can to polish and restore it.

DSC07819.JPG

A couple questions...

is there any "safe" way to take off this trim piece without breaking the clips underneath? (these type of trim clips are what hold on the side mouldings as well)

DSC07859.JPG

second question...

the letters in the "tail panel" are held in by these plastic "plugs." has anyone come up with a better, stronger way to hold them on? (short of gluing the letters to the panel) I have all the letters currently and am afraid that once I pull them off, I may break said plug and either not be able to put them back on, or lose a letter (or all the letters) after I re-install them...

DSC07862.JPG
DSC07866.JPG
DSC07864.JPG

lastly, how the $%^& do the tail light bezels come off???

DSC07860.JPG

a couple pics of the handiwork so far...

right is before, left is after...

DSC07856.JPG

the piece that sits on the lip of the trunk...

DSC07857.JPG

thank you kindly!

Thank you Big John!

they look pretty darn close.

I looked at the chart and it does have my 69 Newport.

the plastic sleeves for the letters area one time usage. going on and never coming off...
Try to source the sleeves or hot glue them back into place or use the speed nuts available at an auto parts store.

you have to drop the bumper off ot get those beezels off Mario...

was planning on dropping the bumper fer paintin', Tommy. so how do you get them off? crowbar?

the plastic sleeves for the letters area one time usage. going on and never coming off...
Try to source the sleeves or hot glue them back into place or use the speed nuts available at an auto parts store.

gotcha. I would love to use speed nuts, but I cannot get to the area behind the panel. it is "walled off," as it were. A big, beautiful "wall," but a wall nonetheless. lol

I think Im going to try the sleeves Big John suggested. I did a measurement and it looks like they will fit. although a dab of hot glue is not a bad idea at all...hmmmm

was planning on dropping the bumper fer paintin', Tommy. so how do you get them off? crowbar?
Torch??? once the bumper is off, there is usually speed nuts holding the bezels on and they will need some good soaking in penetrating fluid.

gotcha. I would love to use speed nuts, but I cannot get to the area behind the panel. it is "walled off," as it were. A big, beautiful "wall," but a wall nonetheless. lol
Hot glue or find them online
I think Im going to try the sleeves Big John suggested. I did a measurement and it looks like they will fit. although a dab of hot glue is not a bad idea at all...hmmmm

Removing the bumper??Torch??? you may scratch or bend the crowbar...:lol:
Once the bumper is off, there is usually speed or regular nuts holding the bezels on and they will need some good soaking in penetrating fluid.
Some attach to the bumper and some to the 1/4 fillers so just be careful not to twist them off
Guess you have t figure that out for yourself as you go along.

Removing the bumper??Torch??? you may scratch or bend the crowbar...:lol:
Once the bumper is off, there is usually speed or regular nuts holding the bezels on and they will need some good soaking in penetrating fluid.
Some attach to the bumper and some to the 1/4 fillers so just be careful not to twist them off
Guess you have t figure that out for yourself as you go along.

so I assume you get to the nuts from underneath then?

wait...some of the nuts attach to the bumper?? :BangHead:

so I assume you get to the nuts from underneath then?

wait...some of the nuts attach to the bumper?? :BangHead:
More than likely they are located on the body itself once you loosen the bumper or remove it totally You'll know for sure. sorry I was in a sarcastic mood tonight!
the 73 Newport I pulled apart had them on both the bumper an the rear 1/4 panel fillers and along the rear of the trunk strip making it especially fun to remove trying to save the plastic strips

More than likely they are located on the body itself once you loosen the bumper or remove it totally You'll know for sure. sorry I was in a sarcastic mood tonight!
the 73 Newport I pulled apart had them on both the bumper an the rear 1/4 panel fillers and along the rear of the trunk strip making it especially fun to remove trying to save the plastic strips

sheeit...if you WEREN'T sarcastic, I would ask you what is wrong with ya!! lol

now I have a good idea what to look for! thank you Tommy for your input! :thumbsup:

Don't the tail lamp assemblies bolt on from inside the trunk? I would say that you will have to remove the whole tail lamp to get at the bolt/screws that hold the t/l bezel to the t/l housing.

The moulding clips are either going to have a nut on the backside, or you will need a tool to "unlock" the tail of the clip from the moulding so that the clip can be rotated and the moulding popped off of it. It's not as easy as it sounds.

And put picture of rear end without lights etc. Im planning 300 taillight swap to my Newport and want to see how it looks without lights etc.

Don't the tail lamp assemblies bolt on from inside the trunk? I would say that you will have to remove the whole tail lamp to get at the bolt/screws that hold the t/l bezel to the t/l housing.

The moulding clips are either going to have a nut on the backside, or you will need a tool to "unlock" the tail of the clip from the moulding so that the clip can be rotated and the moulding popped off of it. It's not as easy as it sounds.

yikes. well, ill take a gander and see...

regarding the clips, what kind of tool do you suggest? I have some plastic tools I got from Eastwood, but not sure which one will work best.

linkie....

12 pc Trim Tool Set

And put picture of rear end without lights etc. Im planning 300 taillight swap to my Newport and want to see how it looks without lights etc.

will do

yikes. well, ill take a gander and see...

regarding the clips, what kind of tool do you suggest? I have some plastic tools I got from Eastwood, but not sure which one will work best.

linkie....

12 pc Trim Tool Set

will do
Something like this might work, although it's really made for windshield mouldings.
GearWrench 2038D Window Molding Remover | eBay
Those clips really look like they should have nuts on the back side of them, which will be a LOT easier than trying to get them "unlocked" from the moulding.
Is the silver panel that has the "CHRYSLER" letters on it removable?

Something like this might work, although it's really made for windshield mouldings.
GearWrench 2038D Window Molding Remover | eBay
Those clips really look like they should have nuts on the back side of them, which will be a LOT easier than trying to get them "unlocked" from the moulding.
Is the silver panel that has the "CHRYSLER" letters on it removable?

I think I have that tool floating around in one of the tool boxes.

No sir. that panel is part of the car. It seems like it's just a raised panel that is part of the body. I crossed that bridge a while ago, and Murray Park even confirmed it for me.

I think I have that tool floating around in one of the tool boxes.

No sir. that panel is part of the car. It seems like it's just a raised panel that is part of the body. I crossed that bridge a while ago, and Murray Park even confirmed it for me.
So are the clips accessible from the backside? They have to either be accessible from behind, or snap into place.

upload_2017-3-4_17-47-22.png

The clips have to be accessible from the backside since there is a nut listed for the clip.

Newport tail lamp.jpg

The tail lamp housings have to be accessible from behind also. It looks like the bezel bolts to the housing, so you're going to have to remove the lamp assy., and then you can take the bezel off of it.

I can unsnap the clips from the front. though they look like they are tacked in place. I will take a pic shortly

IIRC, there are barrel nuts on the backside of the tail lights in the trunk. I will snap a pic of that as well.

I was hoping not to have to take the entire tail lamp assy. out to get the bezels, but it looks like I must.

thank you so much for your help!

so it does look like those clips could have a nut on the backside...hopefully I dont break any of em when I take the trim piece off. lol

DSC07874.JPG

yep, barrel nuts. well, that will make it a lot easier to take the lights out. lol

DSC07879.JPG
DSC07878.JPG

Well, I received the plastic sleeves (trim retainers) that Big John suggested, and it looks like they will fit...I will confirm this once everything is painted and ready for the letters.

Back