Tailgate glass down, can't get it to raise

wyldebill

Reaction score
Lowered the back glass on my 67 t&c this evening, and can't get it to raise. Either from the front or the gate switch. With the glass down, can I gain access to the motor? Any help would be appreciated.

Did you have the tailgate down?

If yes, It might just tbe safety switch that prevents the glass from being raised when the gate is open.

Try slamming shut the rear door/tailgate real good, then try raising the glass again.

There is a safety switch tied into one of the latches - it thinks the gate is open, and disables the up side of the circuit that feeds the window motor. On my car it's on the driver's side latch. I can't remember if it's in the body or the gate... I believe it's the body. Others here will confirm.

Found the culprit. The safety switch is on the passenger side on this car. Cleaned with contact cleaner. Still wouldn't work. Built a jumper wire. That will stay until I find a replacement. Thanks for the help

Found the culprit. The safety switch is on the passenger side on this car. Cleaned with contact cleaner. Still wouldn't work. Built a jumper wire. That will stay until I find a replacement. Thanks for the help
Making the window raise when the tailgate is down will likely break the glass unless you are supporting it in some way! not sure what kind of jumper wire you rigged so thought i would caution you about that.

Agreed - don't extend it too far out of the tailgate when the door is down... AND DON'T TRY TO CLOSE THE GATE WITH THE GLASS EXTENDED - YOU'LL SMASH IT IF IT'S TOO FAR OUT (which isn't very far).

Back