Thank Goodness for C body only

scottmady

Reaction score
Hey All
Just wanted to say thanks for the great website and input from all.
When I bought my Neighbours car last spring I had no idea where to get information on my old girl! I have found out a wealth of information on this site and can't thank you enough. I have tackled a few small jobs that had been bugging me and found the knowledge on here very helpful.
Again thanks for the welcome and hopefully some day I can return the favour!

Hi, I know the feeling! Gone are the days of thumbing endlessly through workshop manuals, trying to figure out how to do a job with the wrong tools, getting it wrong, spending more money and eventually getting there.

Every job you can imagine has been done by someone who knows a trick or two to get it right and are happy to share their experience and knowledge. Google (and forums like this) are your friend. Remember the days before the internet!!.......

This isn't a plug, just a possible addition to the armoury. I am a member of the UK based Mopar Muscle Association. They have a fully searcheable forum full of many years of tech based threads that I have found very useful. Certainly a good place to look before asking the question as the answer may well be there. Im not quite back up to speed on this forum yet but sure the same facility is available. Never hurts to have a bank of resourses available. They have a Facebook bit but I dont do any Anti Social Media so cant say if thats searcheable or not.

Enjoy your car and, as has been said, we love photos!

Cheers and very best wishes, Steve

Hey All
Just wanted to say thanks for the great website and input from all.
When I bought my Neighbours car last spring I had no idea where to get information on my old girl! I have found out a wealth of information on this site and can't thank you enough. I have tackled a few small jobs that had been bugging me and found the knowledge on here very helpful.
Again thanks for the welcome and hopefully some day I can return the favour!

Hey, good to see others here from my neck of the woods (London).

Gone are the days of thumbing endlessly through workshop manuals, trying to figure out how to do a job with the wrong tools, getting it wrong, spending more money and eventually getting there.
That is exactly how a lot of us learned. One issue I've been seeing is people not wanting to open a book and relying on getting an instant answer instead.

There's some sort of happy balance here where folks need to think a little for themselves and do a little research so they understand how everything works.
Every job you can imagine has been done by someone who knows a trick or two to get it right and are happy to share their experience and knowledge. Google (and forums like this) are your friend. Remember the days before the internet!!.......
Most of us are willing to help and yep, there's tricks and tips. I've learned a lot myself and found there are easier ways to do things.

Folks can really help us help them by doing some really easy things. First is tell us what you are working on. I don't know if you have a '57 Plymouth or a '75 Imperial so tell us that. Then tell is what you have already tried. It's not that hard. Oh and one more thing... Punctuation and paragraphs shouldn't be a lost art. I don't care if you are on your phone... I'm not and I don't read the shorthand.

Sorry for the rant.

Very relevant points well put, many thanks.

Agreed, we've all done the hard miles in the past but it doesn't have to always be that way now. If used properly, the internet is a great way to research a project before starting, for confidence if nothing else. My dad was my 'Google' when I started messing with cars and bikes, but not everyone in the hobby had or has that.

I always buy a factory workshop manual and study it before doing anything I'm not familiar with. An invaluable start to any job.

A great point about just providing a little info about the vehicle, specs, the task, the steps already taken etc. When you phone your pal for advice, thats exactly what you would do.

I also agree that trial and error is a great way to learn and problem solve, as long as its not costing more money than it should.

A small mistake can cost a lot of money in an already expensive hobby. This is maybe more relevant here in the UK as everything for C Bodies is very expensive (on top of fuel being the equivilant of $11 a gallon for E5). A set of 8 spark plugs are about $80, an air filter element $60, a carb rebuild kit $100 (more if they have to be imported) etc etc so I dont want to be ruining a $300 Felpro gasket set that Ive waited 3 weeks for, for the sake of asking a couple of pertinent questions and occasionally hitting the 'search' button.

I'm old school too and my shop manuals are well thumbed, but I have also embraced research on internet forums, using Youtube, planning a job then just putting in a call to an experienced friend to run the plan past them etc etc. All tools in the modern toolbox. My dad always said 'the only stupid question is the one you dont ask'.

I find threads on projects very useful before starting, and creating a thread on a task to help others once the work is completed. A good one will highlight what went wrong as well as positive results. It details sources, tools, methods, best practice, safety, testing etc

I'm really no expert at all, but have written comprehensive threads with detailed photos etc on bulkhead connector bypassing, electronic ignition upgrades, relay systems for lighting etc purely as a reference source to help others avoid the (sometimes costly) mistakes I have made. Don't even ask about the very expensive Daniel Stern turn signal switch incident on my old '66 Fury...you will cry nearly as much as I did. A hard way to learn about the results of being jaded and mixing up live and ground wires!

I think its a very close community here and the kudos gained from experience is only worth something when its shared. I too am extremely grateful to the guys with the knowledge and expertise who help us all progress.

Cheers Steve

Back