NOT MINE The 4spd ‘76 New Yorker is back! (Not Mine)

@monaco75 laid eyes on @commando1's car for me 3-4 years back. It was still white but little rough around the edges rust-wise.

I made what I thought was a fair cash offer to the seller, but obviously insulted him as he didn't even bother to counter/other-wise respond. I am ok with rejection .. if he could get more from someone else cool.

But it bugs me a bit when they go radio-silent. Deals over for me, no matter what price, when that happens.

Anyway, my plan was to get with @commando1 for his help to try to return it to what HE intended when he built it. Scoops gone, skirts back, widened road wheels (I have a 15x8 set), and RWL (probably) tires.

And also to stop it from getting passed around and other indignities since it was built.

So, I don't recall it back HERE since then, so I don't know if a new owner or same owner painted it black.

I hope somebody finally makes it a keeper .. so we don't have to keep seeing it here. every 2-3 years.

It looks like it's in a different part of Florida than previous.
Here it was .. April 2020.

Asking $10.5 then, I offered $7K wired next day after @monaco75 gave me his report from his eyes on visit.

For Sale - The ***** is back. Stan's New Yorker back in FL.. ($10.5K)
01111_7td0bryadoc_1200x900-jpg.jpg
00505_9futfmb0nxq_1200x900-jpg.jpg

:stop:Stop!!! You're gonna hurt your head!
i seen one like this , it was a 300 with a 426 max wedge it had a 4 speed stick it was a old ,moon shine runner car it was a bad ride . it also had a stich added to the dash it activated the back up lights ! can u just c the car being chased by the feds & all of a sudden the back up lights come on ! i was told more than 1 revenue officer ran off the road cause they thought the car was backing up @ them.

@amazinblue82
It would've been nicely poetic if you could've gotten it while it was still white, and parked it next to the Flying Whale.
2 iconic builds that attained (deservedly) fame in our C-body circles, and outside to some extent also.

If you get the time, that would be an interesting thread for FCBO - 'iconic C-body builds that the internet noticed'.

And as I browsed some of the many links on this car, some discussing the lower prices in the past, I stumble across this.
How many of us have read an older thread and made an opinion, only to discover they said the very thing, back in the day???

1677515878122.png

@amazinblue82
It would've been nicely poetic if you could've gotten it while it was still white, and parked it next to the Flying Whale.
2 iconic builds that attained (deservedly) fame in our C-body circles, and outside to some extent also.

If you get the time, that would be an interesting thread for FCBO - 'iconic C-body builds that the internet noticed'.

And as I browsed some of the many links on this car, some discussing the lower prices in the past, I stumble across this.
How many of us have read an older thread and made an opinion, only to discover they said the very thing, back in the day???

View attachment 584319
The Whale wasn't even on my radar till 2020. Didnt even know where it was though I'd always liked it from when Henry built it a decade agp.

The New Yorker, late spring 2019 .. I just wanted it to stop getting endlessly being flipped, and then brought back with Stan's help to help me to get it BACK to what he intended.

Had I gotten it, I still likely woulda tried for the the Whale a year later I am sure, and they both woulda made neat "iconic" additions the to the fleet. "Famous" is a generous term for them, but I continue to be surprised how many folks know of the Whale for sure..she's still a fun ole' sled.

Also surprised how many people diss me to my face (as current owner), and all previous owners verbally, cuz they dont like what was done to it

The Whale has largely remained as Henry built it, albeit with a decade of disuse under fourth owner that @FURYGT remedied, and I have done nothing (except a planned brake upgrade, replaced ratchet shifter, and did Magnum 500's). It came to me in excellent "as built" shape.

I have rarely gone back to a car that I didn't buy when I was pursuing it but didn't get it. Partially because my habit is NEVER look back at lost deals, partially because another pretty girl always comes along, and not now now because I am old with buses in the cueue..

The '76 New Yorker left me four years ago, and now priced/revised outside any likelihood I will over own it, I keep hopin it gets a good home.

Last edited:
If/when you get a Scenicruiser available for viewing - please ping me. I have admired them for years.

Saw one in Indy 10-ish years ago, sitting next to teh highway where the road rolled up into an overpass.
I could see only perhaps 18" of the '2nd story' windows - but it was enough to immediately and undoubtedly know what it was.
There's nothing else in the world that can be mistaken for those small front corner windows up there.

It had been converted to an RV/tour bus and was in pretty sad shape all around, but neat to see. The only one I've ever seen in real life.

Last edited:
If/when you get a Scenicruiser available for viewing - please ping me.
Brother, the IF I get it done would only come up IF i personally broken down healthwise or something. I have signed contracts already for me and that bus when I retire and am looking for a way to keep busy (that day is fast approaching)

I am 50% done (mechanicals 50%, fit-up as RV 50% time-wise, about 60/40 cost wise). and expected to be 20% over $ budget,

Hoping that one will be one of the ~150 left running around under their own power within 18 months or so. It'll be splashed all over my thread here and lots of places then I hope.

emoji_finger_full.jpg

The Whale wasn't even on my radar till 2020. Didnt even know where it was though I'd always liked it from when Henry built it a decade agp.

The New Yorker, late spring 2019 .. I just wanted it to stop getting endlessly being flipped, and then brought back with Stan's help ti help me to get it BACK tp what he intended.

Had I gotten it, I still likely woulda tried for the the Whale a year later I am sure, and they both woulda made neat "iconic" additions the to the fleet. "Famous" is a generous them for them, but I continue to be surprised how many folks know of the Whale for sure..she's still a fun ole' sled.

Also surprised how many people diss me to my face (as current owner), and all previous owners verbally, cuz they dont like what was done to it

The Whale has largely remained as Henry built it, albeit with a decade of disuse under fourth owner that @FURYGT remedied, and I have done nothing (except a planned brake upgrade, replaced ratchet shifter, and did Magnum 500's). It came to me in excellent "as built" shape.

I have rarely gone back to a car that I didn't buy when I was pursuing it but didn't get it. Partially because my habit is NEVER look back at lost deals, partially because another pretty girl always comes along, and not now now because I am old with buses in the cueue..

The '76 New Yorker left me four years ago, and now priced/revised outside any likelihood I will over own it, I keep hopin it gets a good home.

I’m glad that you are enjoying the Flying Whale. I ditched the ratchet shifter, had the column shifter put back in use, had the transmission serviced, a new deep cast pan and transmission cooler installed, had the carburetor redone and more. Remember that I get first dibs if you ever sell it.

I’m glad that you are enjoying the Flying Whale. I ditched the ratchet shifter, had the column shifter put back in use, had the transmission serviced, a new deep cast pan and transmission cooler installed, had the carburetor redone and more. Remember that I get first dibs if you ever sell it.

The ratchet IS in my way too ... but slappin' that sum-gun upside da head is just SO much fun....:).

People responsible for my affairs have the list of folks' homes the fleet will be looking for a home one day. I have a dozen where a former caretaker would consider become an "ex-former" caretaker.

What doesn't get new caretakers that way goes to an auction house.

However, dunno about you, I am trying to live to at least 100. "couple" years to go:poke:

It probably ended up here via last falls Turkey Run car show swap meet. I'm surprised it didn't get passed along in this springs show. I've been out and about pretty much daily since Bike Week but I haven't seen it around, the pictures were taken down at the City Island Library parking lot in the downtown historic district.

AD is still up on FB, I'll just post the latest text.

1976 Chrysler New Yorker $13,900 Listed 8 weeks ago in Daytona Beach, FL

JUST REDUCED PRICE,COME CHECK IT OUT, CONSIDER TRADE FOR CLASSIC CAR OR TRUCK MUST HAVE AUTOMATIC TRANS, I NEED KNEE SURGERY, CANNOT SHIFT ANYMORE, LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE, SEND PICTURES AND PRICE. ONE OF A KIND. BIG BLOCK 440, THIS CAR ONLY CAME IN AUTOMATIC, IT HAS BEEN CONVERTED TO A FOUR SPEED HURST TRANS & FLOOR SHIFTER. HAS A 101/2 ZOOM CLUTCH & PRESSURE PLATE. ALSO HAS ALUMINUM FLY WHEEL, ALUMINUM RAIDEATOR,, FACTORY CLUTCH FAN ,NEVER RUNS HOT, CHROME VALVE COVERS, POWER BRAKES, POWER STEERING, POWER WINDOWS & LOCKS,AFTER MARKET STEREO WITH POWER ANTENNA. LIKE NEW TIRES & ALUMINUM MAGS, DUAL EXHAUST GREAT INTERIOR & EXTERIOR ALSO HAS TWO HOOD SCOOPS, RUNS & DRIVES GREAT, CAR WAS BUILT FOR THE STREET. DRIVE ANYWHERE. WILL REMOVE AD WHEN SOLD. THREE 86 TWO 95 EIGHT 5 THREE 6, NO TEXTING

I'll look for it at all the 'Auto Pawn' lots next time I go down Mason Ave.

:rofl:

Back