The Flyin' (Flying) Whale ('66 300) Hits the streets again!

Besides new tires and wheels, a leaking carb was fixed, a new master cylinder and rear brake calipers were installed, I got rid of the ratchet style floor shifter that was not working properly and was not in a good location for me (on the side of the transmission tunnel in front of the seat) and had the car put back to column shift but still a reverse pattern manual shift and had a bunch of little things down.

As for the future, besides having fun I need to give her a good cleaning and wax, look into having a crack in the hood scoop fixed, have an oil leak fixed that may be the front seal and some day I want to put a/c in the car. It was a factory a/c car and everything is still under the dash so I just need an under the hood a/c kit with a modern compressor.

Really bummed that we have had so much rain and cold weather that I have not been able to take her out for a few weeks.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

So great! Yup, gotta have AC!!

Please consider a conversion to buckets and console - IMO (respectfully and humbly), it sets those cars above the other 66 Chrysler models.

So great! Yup, gotta have AC!!

Please consider a conversion to buckets and console - IMO (respectfully and humbly), it sets those cars above the other 66 Chrysler models.

She was built with buckets with the buddy seat/arm rest and for me, I like the comfort of the arm rest but I am toying with the change and I have the console and mounting brackets but don't have the linkage.

Henry put half a console in front of the buddy seat and mounted all of the gauges there. No disrespect to Henry but I want the gauges where I can see them as I don't want to take my eyes off the road or track to look down at the tach and the other gauges so a console may be in the future but I would need to find a padded lid for the console storage area so I don't loose my armrest.

The later model Chrysler consoles I believe had a padded lid (not in Dodge Plymouth without special order)... ask Bill Mounteer Fury440 about his 70 Fury, as his got the Chrysler console. It would be a bolt in dimensionally, but not year correct.
I think very few would notice.
612035-1000-0.jpg

That being said, it's not that much higher... I use a nice black memory foam block on mine for an arm rest. Sits there nicely and almost looks factory if you blur your eyes! Lol...

The same console was used in '70 Dodge C Body cars as the very first C Body that I owned, a triple black '70 Polara rag top had that same console. That car is now in Italy.

I was thinking more like the think padded armrest console door used in the 66 Chargers.

Henry, the guy who built the Flyin' Whale drove down to Connecticut from his home in Maine to pick up some wheels that he bought for his current project and since he was within a half hour of my house he came bay after I got out of work, checked out the car, listened to it run and rev up and was thrilled to see it and to see that it has not been changed much with no signs that anyone has gone inside the engine. Henry wants to have the first opportunity to buy the car if/when I ever decide to sell it.

Henry checked out some of my other C Bodies, in particular my yellow '68 Sport Fury and then we went out for some really good Italian food before he headed back home to Maine. Unfortunately it was pouring rain and had been raining for several days so going for a ride was out of the question but Henry will be back sometime next year when the weather is good for a ride.

Henry, the guy who built the Flyin' Whale drove down to Connecticut from his home in Maine to pick up some wheels that he bought for his current project and since he was within a half hour of my house he came bay after I got out of work, checked out the car, listened to it run and rev up and was thrilled to see it and to see that it has not been changed much with no signs that anyone has gone inside the engine. Henry wants to have the first opportunity to buy the car if/when I ever decide to sell it.

Henry checked out some of my other C Bodies, in particular my yellow '68 Sport Fury and then we went out for some really good Italian food before he headed back home to Maine. Unfortunately it was pouring rain and had been raining for several days so going for a ride was out of the question but Henry will be back sometime next year when the weather is good for a ride.
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Congrats on the Whale. Love it a lot. Glad to see it's in another aquarium. (Don't take it literally, it's a joke.) In other words, I'm saying I'm glad it's in with an owner who really appreciates it, and with other C-bodies. Hope it makes it to Carlisle. Drive the wheels off it.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Mark and I are both waiting for rides as well, you might have to start selling tickets.

Mark and I are both waiting for rides as well, you might have to start selling tickets.

No problem for you guys. I just need to get used to the reverse valve body column shifter. I hope to have it at Lebanon Valley the Saturday before the Hemmings event for some track time.

No problem for you guys. I just need to get used to the reverse valve body column shifter. I hope to have it at Lebanon Valley the Saturday before the Hemmings event for some track time.
I missed this part in the thread ... I LOVED the reverse manual valve body in my 68 Monaco. When I got my 67, I thought I'd be really happy to have a console car but I miss that column shifting a lot!

Congrats on the Whale. Love it a lot. Glad to see it's in another aquarium. (Don't take it literally, it's a joke.) In other words, I'm saying I'm glad it's in with an owner who really appreciates it, and with other C-bodies. Hope it makes it to Carlisle. Drive the wheels off it.:thumbsup:

Eric, maybe you will get a ride in it...

Bill

Hey Bill, what's the date for Lebanon Valley? Could be worth a road trip.

Hey Bill, what's the date for Lebanon Valley? Could be worth a road trip.

May 25th. The SuperCar Shootout (the series that I usually race my stock appearing '68 Sport Fury in) is doing a New vs. Old racing event and the "old" cars don't have to be stock. The days events include: NODRAMA Nostalgia Racing, Buick Race, SuperCar Shootout, Factory Appearing Stock Tire (FAST) Qualifying.

On Sunday May 26: Spring MUSCLEPALOOZA Presented by Hemming Motor News Extreme Muscle Car Drag Racing & Huge Car Show Plus FAST (Factory Appearing Stock Tire)

I may be there on Sunday as well. I have not decided.

https://www.dragway.com/may-events

So... you're going to Carlisle this year? Ugh... and I was looking for excuses NOT to go, but I have to see this car in person.

Back